Hatching Serama Eggs

Sep 30, 2017
So I am trying to get Seramas, the smallest chicken breed in the world. The problem is that we want to get only 3 hatching eggs, and we do not have an incubator. I was thinking of hatching them under one of our broody runners, but realized that she would crush them. One thing I am currently thinking is hatching them under our Silkie hen, but she is not broody, and I do not know if she will crush them or not. What do I do?

So I am trying to get Seramas, the smallest chicken breed in the world. The problem is that we want to get only 3 hatching eggs, and we do not have an incubator. I was thinking of hatching them under one of our broody runners, but realized that she would crush them. One thing I am currently thinking is hatching them under our Silkie hen, but she is not broody, and I do not know if she will crush them or not. What do I do?
I raise serama. To say serama are the smallest breed is not really accurate. There are many people who raise serama that are larger than some other breeds of bantam. With serama, the smaller birds are less productive and even sterile. It is more accurate to say that serama can produce the smallest chickens in the world.

Serama eggs are frequently harder to hatch than other breeds; getting only three eggs does not give yo much of a chance at success. My very first serama eggs were hatched under a silkie. She broke none of the eggs and hatched 11 chicks.

Why only three? When you do buy eggs try not to buy from ebay unless you know a lot about serama. While many of the sellers are honest and have beautiful birds others are just the opposite. This I know as I have been cheated buying this way (years ago when I was ignorant of what a good serama looked like) and because I just looked over what was being offered on ebay. Buyer beware. I'd recommend, when you buy, go one the serama thread and buy from a group member.

If you're going to use the silkie to hatch the serama, wait until she's broody then order the eggs. It does not take long to have them shipped.

I raise serama. To say serama are the smallest breed is not really accurate. There are many people who raise serama that are larger than some other breeds of bantam. With serama, the smaller birds are less productive and even sterile. It is more accurate to say that serama can produce the smallest chickens in the world.

Serama eggs are frequently harder to hatch than other breeds; getting only three eggs does not give yo much of a chance at success. My very first serama eggs were hatched under a silkie. She broke none of the eggs and hatched 11 chicks.

Why only three? When you do buy eggs try not to buy from ebay unless you know a lot about serama. While many of the sellers are honest and have beautiful birds others are just the opposite. This I know as I have been cheated buying this way (years ago when I was ignorant of what a good serama looked like) and because I just looked over what was being offered on ebay. Buyer beware. I'd recommend, when you buy, go one the serama thread and buy from a group member.

If you're going to use the silkie to hatch the serama, wait until she's broody then order the eggs. It does not take long to have them shipped.
That whole statement is very true.

Back
Top Bottom