Hatching Serama eggs

I just set 8 shipped Seramas and want to know on what day you transferred them to a broody. This is only my 2nd batch. My 1st batch was 15 silkies and none of them made it to hatch, all dying at different stages. I did give 2 of them to my friend to put under her broody silkie and she was able to hatch 1, but she sat on them from day 1. Also please share which breeder you have had good success with. I also live in CA
thanks

I get my first eggs tomorrow! I have a Dasp mini incubator so I am going to see how well this will go.
fl.gif

I've never hatched Serama & it's been eons since I've hatched RIR so this is all new starting over for me. I need all the n00bie help I can find.

Last edited:
mine and my daughters seramas are hatching hens i only have 1 baby but my daughters hatched 9 healthy out of 11 eggs mama hens are the best way to go

Originally Posted by MalayStyle

Newbie question, from the sounds of things it appears Seramas do not hatch their own eggs and must be artificially hatched every time/brooder is that correct?

Seramas do make great mommies. I had one hatch 6 eggs of which only 2 were hers. She raised the chicks well. The 4 that were not hers got to be bigger than her and she was still trying to care for them. So cute.

hi im new to seramas and i was wondering how long do u incubate them for like how long do u keep them in the turner and then put them on the tray for the rest of the incubation also what is the temp u need the eggs at during the incubation thank you for the help

I am hatching some seramas some local and some shipped. I have 2 different incubators. One incubator is more stable humidity wise. I have 8 out of 12 eggs developing and 1 group also has some silkies too. I did notice some questionable air sacs on some of the eggs and actually trying that hatching spray on ebay..who knows if it helps or not. I was going to hatch these shipped ones upright like in the turners with fat end upand the bottom of the egg carton cut out. Does anyone have more success that way with shipped eggs?. I have felt that some of my shipped eggs drowned near the end when i put them on their sides with loose air sacs at lockdown. The ones with questionable air sacs have typically died at the end at lockdown on their sides. My local eggs now hatch at 100% now that I have my cheapy incubators calibrates correctly.My rates vary with shipped eggs. i seem to get them to lockdown and some just do not hatch. I suspect the air sac issue. I am at day 12 I think on the shipped eggs and usually most of these make it to lockdown by now. Sometimes I loose 1 or two after but usually i am good until hatching.

I have 6 out of 13 eggs on day 22 right now that have not pipped. I candled 3 and they're very much alive! :bow What should I do? I have 3 Broody cochin brahma hens at my barn, is it too late to transfer them to the hens? I don't want to lose these babies! :fl Any help is appreciated, thank you! Temp is 99.5- 100 @ 44% dry hatching in a 360

Back
Top Bottom