Hatching Skinny Eggs - Double Yolk?!?!?

Azure Acres

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 10, 2014
NW Missouri
I've read that chick size is different depending on egg size and that chick size can determine adult bird size. (Not meaning bantam or LF, but just general runt vs largest of the litter). I have a few eggs incubating that are long and skinny compared to the other eggs. The other eggs vary a bit in size, but are all the same shape. I'm just curious if anyone has noticed anything as far as the size of the chicks that hatch from long skinny eggs vs a normal shaped egg. The odd eggs are longer than the normal eggs and a bit skinnier.

Something else just occurred to me...would these possibly be double yolkers? I can get a picture of the long eggs next to a couple normal eggs.

I have "skinny eggs" but don't know about hatching them. One came from a new layer so I think she is just working out the kinks.

After taking the pic, I'm thinking one double yolk and two that are just skinny. The egg on the far right is a normal egg for reference.

Long larger one could be a double yolker...which you probably wouldn't want to try and hatch.
...and those blue eggs are hard to candle, at least the one I incubated I never could see anything in it..but I left it in and it hatched.

Yes they are hard to candle. We are doing pure Ameraucanas for our flock and candling has proven a challenge. The first batch we have going I was only able to candle after 10 days to really see much. The second batch was a little easier and we candled at 5 days and were able to see better.

My silkie laid eggs that were more bullet shaped like that. What breed laid those?

I don't foresee any issues with hatching skinny eggs... Maybe their feet would be extra contorted since they're usually in the tip of the egg but they do get smushed normally anyway. if their feet can't move along the eggshell maybe they can't zip the shell at hatch time? IDK, no experience incubating bullet shaped eggs, just tossing out random ideas!

Double yolk eggs usually don't work out because the shell isn't big enough to house 2 full term embryos, so they often die :(

Last edited:
Overall, bigger egg = bigger chick in my experience, smaller the egg the smaller the chick. One smaller egg I hatched is still the runt of the flock.

There is also such a thing as too big of an egg - where the chick will have to absorb excess eggwhite and will hatch fat bloated and lethargic.

You want a happy medium between too big and too small
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom