Hatching troubles

noellepage06

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2017
Vicksburg Mississippi
This poor little guy has been like this since last night. He is moving around in there. Started hatching then nothing. But is still alive. Not sure if I should try and help or leave him alone. All of my others have hatched just fine on their own.

Last edited:
If a chick stalls for a long period during a zip, I highly advise to help. Generally when they start zipping, they are ready to hatch, and if they stall for a lengthy period of time, there is an issue.

I'd also advise to not hatch in turner trays as it carries a higher possibility of chick injuries, and it makes clean up that much worse.
So when they start to hatch I should remove the trays? Thank you I did not know that. This is my first time hatching. Had 16 eggs and so far 10 have hatched with no help. The 11th is on his way out now. Looks like I will need to help this little guy out. Thank you.

Last edited:
So when they start to hatch I should remove the trays? Thank you I did not know that. This is my first time hatching. Had 16 eggs and so far 10 have hatched with no help. The 11th is on his way out now. Looks like I will need to help this little guy out. Thank you.

Yes. Typically you remove the turners and lay them down at lockdown. Some prefer to put them in cut down cartons to hatch out but I think the majority chooses the natural position of laying down. The plastic can get slippery from egg goo causing chicks to slip and get splayed legs and it also holds a higher potential of injury from getting legs caught in it.

The little zipper looks like the membranes are quite dry and it is probably hindering its progress.

Congrats on the hatchers.

Last edited:
I have two baby chicks that has top shell off and membrane is dried around them. It's been almost 24 hours they've been like this. Should I remove the membrane being is looks like it's dried to there feathers. PLEASE HELP!!! So scared to hurt these lil guys.

I have two baby chicks that has top shell off and membrane is dried around them. It's been almost 24 hours they've been like this. Should I remove the membrane being is looks like it's dried to there feathers. PLEASE HELP!!! So scared to hurt these lil guys.

I'd say rescue time! I had the same happen to me I rescued them as long as you don't see blood your ok just be careful and assist them they can get stuck and die. Just lightly remove the shell and try to get as much off as possible I had one that looked like a tank after I released her I worked a day with her and finally freed her except for the stick membrane that came off naturally and now she's as healthy as the others but has the name tank

Back
Top Bottom