HATCHING TURKEY 3 DAYS NOT EMERGING

shaneensmith

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
Quesnel, BC
Hello - I have one turkey Poult not coming out of its shell. it is now the 3rd day. the humidity in my incubator is high at 75% or higher sometimes - 2 of my poults popped out really fast...but this one just seems to be stuck. I would love for it to survive seems to be a little fighter - 3 days and still stuck in that position. Should I assist? and if so HOW do I execute? PS: there are 3 other eggs pipped at the moment - not large holes though.

Hello - I have one turkey Poult not coming out of its shell. it is now the 3rd day. the humidity in my incubator is high at 75% or higher sometimes - 2 of my poults popped out really fast...but this one just seems to be stuck. I would love for it to survive seems to be a little fighter - 3 days and still stuck in that position. Should I assist? and if so HOW do I execute? PS: there are 3 other eggs pipped at the moment - not large holes though.
My experience with turkey eggs is that if the egg has been pipped for over 24 hours without any zipping, the poult is most likely shrink wrapped and cannot move to be able to zip.

I have some tweezers that I use to gently break away pieces of the shell along the line where it should be zipping. Be careful to not get any blood vessels bleeding. If it has been pipped for too long without any progress, the blood vessels are usually not a problem when removing parts of the shell. I also use a paper towel that has been wet with 100°F water. Once I pop the top of the egg off, I use the paper towel to moisten the dried membranes so I can remove them. Once I am sure the poult can move freely, I return it to the hatcher (or incubator) and allow it to kick itself out of the remaining shell.

Good luck.

My experience with turkey eggs is that if the egg has been pipped for over 24 hours without any zipping, the poult is most likely shrink wrapped and cannot move to be able to zip.

I have some tweezers that I use to gently break away pieces of the shell along the line where it should be zipping. Be careful to not get any blood vessels bleeding. If it has been pipped for too long without any progress, the blood vessels are usually not a problem when removing parts of the shell. I also use a paper towel that has been wet with 100°F water. Once I pop the top of the egg off, I use the paper towel to moisten the dried membranes so I can remove them. Once I am sure the poult can move freely, I return it to the hatcher (or incubator) and allow it to kick itself out of the remaining shell.

Good luck.
R2elk - I did it! the turkey was stuck in there and in the wrong position as well! But I saved her. I feel so accomplished (not sure if its a girl or not LOL!)
I used tweezers and removed the majority of the shell, then added warm warmer droplets on the membrane where it was dry in one spot - she seemed super tired, so I took back just a little bit of the membrane near her head so she could free her neck, now she is out and happy and stumbling around getting strong pretty darn fast! WOOHOO!

Back
Top Bottom