hatching with a broody

Bit depressed this morning. Yesterday a chick managed to hatch - when I checked a little while later chick was to the side of the mother getting cold so I tucked it back under her. This morning I checked under whilst she was having food and chick was dead - perhaps I moved it in too far? Also another egg unzipped but the chick was dead. I don't think broody knows to give them a bit of room OR could this chick have been crushed when Arthur tried to mate with her yesterday morning?

I checked the eggs quickly and can hear peeping in one of them. Worried that the eggs have not had enough humidity as some of the air sacs did look a bit big when I candled a couple of them. Have sprinkled a little water on them to help raise humidity. Mum is sitting on them again. Don't think this is going to end happily
sad.png

I have seen moms get really stiff and still as the eggs are hatching, but once they get into a position they want to stay there, and a chick may be crushed, (when they first hatch they are a bit squishy any way) That is one reason I take them out as hatched brood them a bit, then put them back at night after they had a bit to eat and drink, and are walking around.

Back
Top Bottom