Have 1 duck being overly aggressive. Suggestions?

daphnelovely

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2016
Hello :) I am new to ducks this year and its been an adventure but I love it! That being said, (and to put all the details this will be long, thank you to anyone who reads it all) I had purchased 6 ducklings from my local Farm & Fleet in the Spring, lost 1 as a baby and 3 more a couple months later to i believe was raccoons :( I was left with a female Cayuga mix and what turned out to be a Cayuga male. They became very close being alone together. Around 3 weeks ago we purchased 6 Welsh Harlequin hens (please excuse my spelling on the breeds, still learning!) and 1 gorgeous Khaki Campbell drake. The same day a friend who had some runners mixed with his chickens lost all but 1 runner so we adopted that one also and the tale feathers are starting to turn up showing he is male. After the initial bickering being put together the hens have all settled, the runner has paired himself up with a hen ( so adorable!) and my original 2 still stick together while they all are also part of the group. The past 3 days my Khaki Campbell male has been very aggressive towards my Cayuga male who is a complete pushover and will not stick up for himself. My original female (Baby) who has been by his side since the attack has taken down the more aggressive male but she has ceased to "protect" her Cayuga friend. He is not tearing into him but im aftaid as he becomes increasingly aggressive this could happen. He goes out of his way to chase the Cayuga away from food, the pool, Baby, and just nips at him for no reason I can see. Almost like hes trying to push him out. Any suggestions before I find him a new home or what could have brought this on the past few days? Im afraid to lock them up at night together as it progresses Side note: The khaki campbell is a good year older than the cayuga who was born this Spring.

There is so much that goes on with ducks, especially drakes, I feel the thing to do is just keep everyone safe, however you can, step back, and come up with a few things to try.

I have a small flock of three (drake and two ducks) separate from the rest of the flock - all girls - because there were some personality issues I just could not get worked out. Rather, they could not get them worked out!

So, separating is one thing to try. Some folks do well with temporary separations and that can reset the dynamics.

However multiple drakes is its own adventure. You may need to rehome someone or just keep them separate.

Too many Drakes.....I know....Hard decision but really you only should have one Drake...I have three myself but one is getting butchered and the other is leaving...Should of been done a few weeks ago but timing was not right for his new home and me...Pick one and enjoy your hens...Never easy having Chickens or Ducks...Make the best decision and enjoy.

Cheers

Thank you for the responses :) UPDATE: I separated the aggressive male for a night by putting a large dog crate in their shed next to the divider. There is a divider so they get the run of half and the other half is empty incase we have any issues we have extra room. He was not happy but I checked on him several times throughout the night. He lightly skinned his beak which cleared up within a day. The following day they were let out together and i watched for a few hours throughout the day. When he nipped at my other drake he got a light swat with one sheet of lightly rolled newspaper. Took 2 swats (more the sound than the swat much like a horse) and while he has chased him a few steps here and there, i havent seen anymore biting and they are now eating and swimming together :) Although he may need to be rehomed later they have been getting along for about a week now.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses :) UPDATE: I separated the aggressive male for a night by putting a large dog crate in their shed next to the divider. There is a divider so they get the run of half and the other half is empty incase we have any issues we have extra room. He was not happy but I checked on him several times throughout the night. He lightly skinned his beak which cleared up within a day. The following day they were let out together and i watched for a few hours throughout the day. When he nipped at my other drake he got a light swat with one sheet of lightly rolled newspaper. Took 2 swats (more the sound than the swat much like a horse) and while he has chased him a few steps here and there, i havent seen anymore biting and they are now eating and swimming together :) Although he may need to be rehomed later they have been getting along for about a week now.

Great news!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom