Have a leghorn not sure what is wrong with her

I checked her last night and since I have separated her I haven't seen any poop. So I don't know if it's bloody or not. Is it normal for a chicken not to poop much if they are internal layers? Another question for anyone, can a chicken lay normally and then all of a sudden become an internal layer and what causes that problem? Is there anything you can do to help them not to lay internally? Do they die from being internal layer or do you have to put them down? Can they ever get better or go back to laying normal? I am trying to figure out what to do with her. She always just seems to stay under the heat lamp in the box and I make sure she is eating and drinking. If she isn't going to get better then I feel I should put her down:( But I really want to try and help her first, I hate seeing her looking like she is in pain. Is there anything I can give her to comfort her?
sad.png
I think this spring I am going to get some more buff orp. chicks. Also, about my buffs they have big lumps on their chest is this normal? All 4 of them have these lumps didn't notice them before.

I think once they have internal laying issues its gonna keep happening, There was nothing I could do for pearl altho I tried. The lumps on the throats are their crop, no worries about that just means they have been eating well

Thank you for telling me about my buff is just eating well, thats a relief. There names are Buffy, messed up eye (my daughter named her for from birth she couldn't see out of one eye.), Buddy, and Ginger. Is there a website I could find more info out about internal layers? I keep posting on her progress. I hope she pulls through. I hate loosing any of my girls.
sad.png

I have also another question about chickens that are internal layers or egg binding, my girl has the same symptoms as cocci but no bloody poop as far as I have seen but my next question is : do they have problems getting back up on their feet if they are internal layers or egg bound? My girl when I try to pick her she tries to run and if she falls down she has trouble getting back up on her feet. She has to sit there for a little while before she can stand back up. Do internal egg layers or egg bound chickens act that way or could it be something else?
hu.gif

Quote:
Sounds like she could have more then 1 thing going on right now. I have had eggbound hens who do just fine after I do the warm soak and massage in the tub, internal layers may have a bit of a balance problem because of the swelling in their abdomen, I know my little pearl was stiff as a board when I would pick her up to comfort her, she hated to be put back down like it hurt to stand up or move at all.

omg! i had the same thing happen to one of my bantams! i didnt know what was wrong until he died he died of leg mites!!!! he walked round all puffed up and with his head down like yours

my girl seems to want to stay standing pretty much in the same place all the time, she doesn't like to sit at all. Maybe because she has trouble standing back up. So another problem with being egg bound could give her problems in standing back up and could that make her weak also?

found this in the archives hope it helps.
Eggbound is when an egg gets stuck in the oviduct as the hen is trying to lay it.

It happened to my Matilda last fall, and I could feel the egg in there by palpating her lower abdomen -- dunno whether or not you can *always* feel it but I think you often/usually can. She also prolapsed from straining at the stuck egg, but I guess they don't always.

Here are some threads discussing treatment of eggbound chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26414
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24840

There
are many others, but note that that eggbound seems often to be confused with internal laying and/or salpingitis, as well as plenty of other problems.

OTOH, does your hen seem actually ill -- under the weather -- or is it concievable she is just feeling broody? <crossed fingers>

Good luck,

I have been getting alot of info on my hen and just wanting to let everyone know greatly appreciated, but I have another question that I have seen on the egg bound everyone else has said how their hens when goes egg bound tries sitting on the nest but my hen never has done that at all, all she does is stand there. She was the one chicken I have that always seemed like she was cold she would get up and down off the roost every day and would get on the feeder and eat and drink water, she would always coming running when I would have treats. But then once she got off the roost she would would eat and drink and then just sit under the heat lamp that I had on my waterer so it wouldn't freeze at night because it was still at the time going below freezing and if I didn't then the water would freeze. But depending on how warm it was going to get that day if I would turn the light off or not for if it was still to cold during the day my waterer would freeze and I couldn't have that then they wouldn't have water for the day. I would give them fresh water a couple times a day. But I seem to be getting off track again. As I was saying she never went and would sit on the nest like she was trying to lay an egg. So I am still confused on how she might be egg bound and not some other disease like cocci. And as far as the symptoms of cocci she has them all but not the bloody poop and as far as I can see and I check on her quite a bit she isn't pooping at all or it is very little. I am going to try and put her in warm soapy water tomorrow to see if that will help. For it was like winter here again today and I didn't want her to get any colder. It suppose to be nicer, hopefully. Will let know what happens after I do the warm bath.

Back
Top Bottom