Have a question on orange to red colored excrement

So Corid is the brand name for amprolium which is a medication used to treat coccidiosis which is a disease caused by coccidia protozoa. Ivermectin does not treat coccidiosis nor does any other worming medication to my knowledge.

The coccidia live in the soil so all birds will be exposed to it/have it in their digestive system and will have a tolerance for the strain they are exposed to — but new chicks are susceptible due to their lack of immunity and introducing new birds can also bring in new strains. It’s usually young birds affected but not always the case. One of the symptoms of coccidiosis is bloody watery diarrhoea. Worms can also cause bloody droppings or excessive intestinal shedding. So at first it can be hard to know what you’re dealing with but if you have young chicks or new birds and you see those kinds of droppings and your birds are losing condition it’s a good idea to treat with Corid/amprolium. It won’t hurt and it can also be dosed for treatment or prevention. You just need to give them a vitamin b boost AFTER treatment because amprolium works by blocking thiamine absorption in the birds. I believe you can also treat for amprolium and worms simultaneously, especially with fenbenzadole; to my recollection they aren’t any interactions there.

If your birds have recovered with the fenbenzadole treatment and good hygiene practice then I wouldn’t worry about Corid/amprolium or ivermectin.

Oh no I'm not saying to use the corid for worms. I don't have any experience with worms. Did you find info to that end?
Thanks ... I figured that out when I read more about it, but decided to have some on hand just in case it was needed. I ended up giving "SafeGuard" with feed for a bi-annual worming and all is well, egg production is great and the girls are doing well.

All droppings are fine now .... I actually think I may have had some shavings with an orange-red "tinge" to the actual wood, but was worried when the color looked more bright orange when wet. Then again, it could have been some worm symptoms. Regardless, since I treated with the SafeGuard there was not any adverse reaction to any of my girls and they're all doing very well ..... "knock on wood".

I'm holding the Corid in my medicine cabinet just in case.

Thanks, all of y'all, especially @Lillith37, for the wealth of timely, instructive and very specific information. It was truly helpful ..... ya'll are real gems and I very much appreciate the kind help and sharing of your knowledge. ; -)

Back
Top Bottom