Having difficulty walking

CJS Flock

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hey all. My Polish pullet Annabel, last Saturday started having difficulty walking. She was stepping on her own feet and couldn’t walk very far. I thought maybe it was a reaction to the lice infestation I found as a result of her walking like this. I treated her with permethrin and gave her a bath. She had dark diarrhea along with the stability issues. She has been in chicken ICU the past few days so she doesn’t get trampled by her flock. She hasn’t walked much the past two days since I’ve been trying to let her rest, only getting her out a few times a day to encourage her to stand. Today she stood, shook her feathers and stretched without falling. I took her outside and she walked around and even high speed wobbled to get treats with everyone else. I’ve been giving her scrambled egg and poly-vis-ol since the weekend. Her poop is normal for the most part, some softer brown poop, but only once or twice a day. Also I noticed that if I rub up under her wings and hold up her back end, she stands up and walks. Since she is six months old, I’m wondering/hoping this is something other than Marek’s. What do you all think? Attached are snapshots from the video I took today.

Attachments

• 4DC375DC-3342-4339-A17E-39E9A83D298C.jpeg
    4DC375DC-3342-4339-A17E-39E9A83D298C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • FE3D9FE6-6CF5-48C2-BC11-00A956CD4EC4.jpeg
    FE3D9FE6-6CF5-48C2-BC11-00A956CD4EC4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Would it be possible to take a video of her walking and upload it to YouTube with a link posted here? I hope it is just an injury or s vitamin deficiency, and not Mareks.

Would it be possible to take a video of her walking and upload it to YouTube with a link posted here? I hope it is just an injury or s vitamin deficiency, and not Mareks.
Thanks! I don’t have a YouTube channel but I do have a Vimeo account. Here is the link to her video:

I do think that Mareks could be a good possibility, but there can be other reasons for lameness. Getting her on some vitamins with riboflavin (B2) for awhile to see if she gets better or worse would be good. Make sure that she can always reach food and water.

I do think that Mareks could be a good possibility, but there can be other reasons for lameness. Getting her on some vitamins with riboflavin (B2) for awhile to see if she gets better or worse would be good. Make sure that she can always reach food and water.
Thank you. Been on poly vi sol for about a week. I’m just wondering how long I should give her to recover. She is definitely eating, drinking and pooping normal. I’m giving her zero milk fat Greek yogurt every other day as well and she loves it. Just want her to live her best life.

I would give it for two weeks. Usually, they tend to respond to riboflavin within days if it is a riboflavin deficiency. A chicken sling might be helpful to get her up and in front of food and water. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

An injury might take several weeks to get better. I had a hen who was vaccinated for Mareks who went down at the age of 8, and spent 5 weeks not being able to balance and walk without falling backward or to the side. She eventually recovered and lived another year. I found that she had a large lash egg inside when she died. I hope that she recovers, but if you should lose her, having your state vet perform a necropsy and to test for Mareks would be a good way to get an answer.

I would give it for two weeks. Usually, they tend to respond to riboflavin within days if it is a riboflavin deficiency. A chicken sling might be helpful to get her up and in front of food and water. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

An injury might take several weeks to get better. I had a hen who was vaccinated for Mareks who went down at the age of 8, and spent 5 weeks not being able to balance and walk without falling backward or to the side. She eventually recovered and lived another year. I found that she had a large lash egg inside when she died. I hope that she recovers, but if you should lose her, having your state vet perform a necropsy and to test for Mareks would be a good way to get an answer.
Thank you for this. I’ve been taking her out a few times a day trying to encourage her to walk. If I rub up by her tail or under her wings, she walks. Wonder if I should not try to rehab her like that and just let her rest She also does walk crouched and not a lot to her food and around in her area.

Back
Top Bottom