Having trouble with my 5 week old chickens come night fall, please help! New mommy over here!

RedDrgn, I had to laugh a little after reading about your girls transitioning to their new coop. I could even picture it lol When I put my girls in last night they let us pick them up and put them in without a problem. They just screamed the whole time. and you know what? I think most of the screaming was done by the sebright bantam! I have been studying them for days now and whenever they get upset its usually the sebright who starts it all! I can be in the house WITH the AC on and still hear the little bugger scream. If I am in my garden (which is usually where I am during the day) and I hear screaming its always the little sebright I catch screaming whenever I approach the coop... now I know you said some have "stronger" personalities than others but this little one is loud as heck! lol

Gryeyes, did your silver sebrights talk a lot? Im telling you, my little bugger is the main instigator! He/She will get the others going and no matter what the sebright is the loudest. It will scream so loud its as if its being hurt! Even if he/she looses sight of the barred rock for just a moment the screams come out. This little one NEEDS the barred rock. If I separate them its as if I am stabbing the sebrights poor little heart lol It cannot stand to be away from barred!!

I am about to go take more pics of my flock so I can show them off on here. I am so happy I decided to become a chicken mommy. I feel like a 31 year old kid right now lol Honestly! When I was real young I had imaginary chickens as playmates. I never had imaginary friends, nothing like that. Just imaginary chickens. I even skipped school when I was in kindergarden and first grade so I could go play with them in the woods. I remember it clear as day! I was always caught by my mother though lol But growing up I have always wanted chicks/chickens. I am so glad I finally decided now was the right time. I am old enough to properly care and provide for them. I never thought having them would turn out to be as rewarding as it has and they are only 5 weeks old! I am just thankful for them and I am also thankful to have found this site! You all rock!
woot.gif

To get our flock to go into the coop at night to go to bed, we used a camping lantern. Put it in the coop, turned it on at dusk. They'd all go in and settle on their perches. Then we'd take the lamp out for the night.

We only had to do this for three nights - now they go in on their own at dusk.

- Beth

Back
Top Bottom