Hawk Attacks, need covered run

ladyrsanti

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Michigan
I have a red tail hawk that has terrorized my flock for months. It's attacked five times now, unsuccessfully, but finally killed a cockerel this week. Today it grabbed a chick. Not sure if that one will survive. Normally I free range inside an electronet fence that I run around half the coop (pictured below) and I love that setup. When I have chicks or growing out meat birds I divide the electronet and shelter in tractors. But I'm wanting to build an attached run for times like these when a hawk is hanging around. My main flock has no shelter besides the coop when all of the tractors are in use.

So I'd love to be able to use the electronet still but wonder if there's any creative way to cover it (bird netting?) without shorting it or leaving gaps for predators. Money is a factor. I have the electronet and would like to use it. Rabbit fencing and posts are expensive and burying fencing is a lot of work, especially with roots under the trees around the coop and a leech field. Anyone do anything clever with electronet? Ideas?

I live by a large wooded area with many hawks, owls, and eagles. I have a layer of bird netting over my run and I have only seen a fledgling hawk swoop at it. It hit the net, got up stunned, and flew away. I haven't had an attack on that coop since. I strongly suggest it to anyone with a raptor-filled area.

Good to hear! I just ordered some netting. Now I just need to figure out a way to drape it over the electronet without touching it.

What about using tent poles or a canopy frame (like you see at swap meets/flea markets)?
You really don't even need to cover the entire run. As long as there is something to break up the open space a large bird won't risk flying into a place it can't easily fly out of. You could also run wires or string across the top, hung with fabric strips or old dvds/cds to make it more visible.
Even a couple patio umbrellas could do the trick, depending on the size of your run.

I thought stuff like that would be enough. They have plenty of cover in their current enclosure, including trees, a washington hawthorn, raspberry bushes and a brush pile that they can hide in, all surrounded by suspended cd's. But it didn't work. I need something a little more hawk proof.

ETA: I found one of my hens hiding in the tall grass (we don't mow in the enclosure) and with her barring (barred rock), she was almost completely invisible. But unfortunately, not all the hens can be so cunning and lucky to have natural camouflage.

Last edited:
I have a friend who lost several birds to hawks, He picked up a picnic table type umbrella and cast iron stand, added an extra 3' pole onto it, I think it's 10 or 12' wide, along the edge he put in brass grommets like used in tarps and then ran bright orange flagging tape with string line to his electric fence, to cover mostly everything but there are large 3-4' gaps. But it has worked good for the last 4 months no issues. I may have to do that here soon too, other wise start planting tree's. can also drape the netting over the umbrella and run that out

I have a lot of hawks around my place too, and have lost 2 birds to them in the last 5 years, with plenty of almost gots.

What really, really helped was hawk netting. As the other poster said, they hit the net and then move on.

I have a lot of trees around my free range area too. So my husband strung single line rope between trees and then hung netting over the rope tying the ends of netting on whatever was nearby to create a canopy so the trees and netting act as cover..

We also have gotten free canopy rods and even used some pvc pipe to create an awning and netting enclosure over the chick/broody/grow out pen so it is completely covered, top and sides. Occasionally a Copper's Hawk will still sit on the fence post over the broody hutch in frustration, but they move on.

I think stringing the hawk netting over the electro fence should work well especially if you use the natural trees and obstacles for cover too. You can also hang shiny objects in the trees like old cd's which helps to confuse their vision.

Good luck. Hawk loss is so frustrating.

LofMc

Last edited:
Look into deer netting rather than bird netting. Dear netting stronger and likely more durable with respect to sun exposure. I use such to protect ponds from Great Blue Herons and Green Heron. Netting also keeps raptors from hunting edges as well.

I have not doubt deer netting is stronger, but I would like to comment you have no need to worry about sun or weather exposure with the regular bird netting. That stuff is hardy.

I've had mine up for 3 years and it still holding very well and is amazingly sturdy...annoyingly so. When you try to move it, it tends to hang up on stuff, all manner of stuff, and it is a bit of a bear to untangle, free up, and then get it where you want.

A determined rodent or coon could chew through it, but they hang up in it so easily that it also helps keep them away....and I've used it to do that as well.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom