Hawk NEST in MY YARD! What to do?

stink! i got bee spray/ knocked there nest out of the tree while trying to get the "paper wasp" nest taken care of. didnt even notice the birds nest or the eggs till too late
hit.gif
RIP little birds
hit.gif

I'd figure a way to just live with them. Really not worth the fines and possible jail time for harassing raptors. Your dealing with the Feds (US Fish and Wildlife Service) if you mess with the raptors. Migratory Bird Treaty Act, think its 6 months jail time per take. When the raptors leave, just remove the nest and possibly the branch so the don't come back next year.

I had a pair of Coopers nest in my yard not 30 feet from my coop. They raised 4 young and in time I had 6 of them flying around. I was very careful during that time to really watch my birds (and yes indeedy, that was time consuming) but no one got hurt. Here's the part where you can wonder about my sanity - had a stern talk with the hawks every day and told them in no uncertain terms that if they were going to nest here they had to leave my feathered friends alone! I swear they got the message that I was mom and I was not to be messed with! Even my roo began to relax around them, perceiving no threat (I thought - - can he read their intention, their body language?). We really did have a peaceful coexistence and who would have thunk, with 6 Coopers in my residential yard?! The day the 4 young hawks fledged was thrilling in a way because they flew so badly, and one nearly clocked me in the head. It was interesting watching them get flying lessons from their parents.
Having said this, I would not assume all situations will be this civilized. You'll have to keep a very close eye on your birds till the hawks leave, which can take some time.
JJ

if they havent layed their eggs or hatched chicks yet (i have no idea what the breeding season for hawks is) then you could probably stress them out so much that they leave and try to find a new nest. It's borderline legal, and kind of humane (they aren't physicaly getting harmed) but thats what i'd do if i was in that situation. Firing loud blanks towards them, flashing bright lights at night, hitting their nest with paintballs etc. would probably get them to leave. Hanging up cd's around the bird pen may work for a little while, but isn't a permanent solution. I had a sharp shinned hawk (could've been a coopers) rip down strings of cd's to get to my doves, the cd's had only been up for a week. Over the years I'v lost probably close to 15 birds to hawks, mostly doves, all of which were in their secure pens, never lost a single one to any other kind of predator, i kind of have a vendetta against all hawks now. good luck.

Quote:
Here's what I'm a thinking...

what if they watered the tree...... Not the nest per se, but the entire tree. Everyday... for hours.....

Boyd, that is brilliant...

but at the same time, have you called the dept of wild life?? I am thinking they might have a solution for you...if nothing else, call them from a pay phone and ask these questions or from work....don't tell them who you are, tell them you are calling for a friend and tell the situation. And find out what if anyting you can legally do...then if they say nothing,,,well they don't know who you are and then you can water the crap out of that tree from TOP to bottom...perhaps your burning pile is under that tree also...hmmmmm

I've lost several hens to cooper's hawks. I finally decided to build a large run - over 40 feet long and over 20 wide and run fishing line from side to side - then put poultry netting over that. If I had some sense I would have just put several more fence posts throughout the run and let it hold up the netting - the fishing line is dangerous and I've removed some of it. I live in GA in an area where it seldom rains and the ground is like concrete - so the less posts I was putting in the better. Anyway - I put 10 new hens in the run (turns out someone is lousy at sexing and 3 are roosters - bummer) and I have yet to lose one bird - so it is working. But I do eventually want to get rid of the fishing line - I had one hen get caught on it - I got her loose and she's fine but what if I wasn't home??? If we ever have a wet spell I may do the extra post thing and take out the fishing line. I just wish I could have found something higher than 4 foot fencing (I used chicken wire) because if I have to get in there for something I'm practically crawling around. This run is inside a fenced area so predator safety wasn't as much of a concern as just protecting them from hawks.
I hate the hawks too but I would never kill one - they are just doing what they were made to do - but I do have the right to protect my girls (and guys) from them.

Unless your state has some additional restrictions, you can remove those birds
according to the federal law. BUT, you must document that you have tried EVERY
resonable way to get them to go away before actually shooting them. Just write
a little log book like this:

8/3/2010 2pm lost 2 chickens to hawks
8/4/2010 3 pm - sprayed water at tree for 3 hours
8/5/2010 4pm shot several "noise makers" at hawks
(we were actually TOLD to use bottle rockets by wildlife officers)
8/6/2010 2pm lost another chicken, shot hawk with shotgun

The key is you have to have actually lost livestock, not pets.
Of course, your state may have other laws.

Call your local wildlife office. Ours are a great help!

Quote:
Harassing birds protected by the Migratory Birds Treaty Act is also illegal.

One option that can be explored is contacting a falconry organization and seeing if they have anyone licensed for Coopers (or whatever hawk one has living nearby) that would be willing to take it. There are a TON of very specific rules they must follow, but ... it's possible that everyone would benefit.

Quote:
Ummm, no. I've read the law. Have you? I've also spoken with our Game & Fish and been told to pen my birds if I am concerned about their safety from hawks or owls.

Back
Top Bottom