Hawk netting?

Agilityscots

Songster
12 Years
Jun 9, 2007
Central Ohio
Quick question: DH says he can't find anything called hawk or bird netting at any hardware store. More likely than not, he's never heard of it so he doesn't think it exists and that means he didn't even ask for it at Lowe's today. Where can I find it so we can put it on top of our run today? This is going to be my chicks' first big day outside if we can get this run completed!

Amy

i found bird netting at walmarts garden center. it's made to wrap fruit trees to prevent damage from birds. i think it's 14' x14'. thrads kinda small though.

Excellent! I KNEW it existed. I'll tell DH and we'll go get some today...depending on the price, we may just get the sunshade cover that comes with the dog run.

Amy

That thin bird netting won't keep hawks out. You can tear that stuff with your fingers. You need strong game bird netting. Mine is 50' x 50' and it was $130 on ebay. It is made for keeping large birds out. The netting at walmart is for keeping little birds off of plants.

Here's a picture of mine:
net.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I said you can break it with your fingers without trying. I was trying to be helpful. I have a lot of hawks that fly over my chicken yard every day. Hawks do not politely fly down gently...they fly at full speed and will break through those $10 nets with not problem. If you trust what you have then great. I would never use that stuff. That's just me.

Here is my story on the netting. I have the "cheap stuff" from Lowes. I could not afford the other. I had hawk problems last winter. I also had the run rebuilt in the fall and expanded and to make a long story short never got around to putting the netting on. OK,,,now the netting has to go on as the girls have to be put in lockdown until the hawk moves on to other places. My daughter and I ran to Lowe's and put it up as best we could, it was freezing out and getting dark. We did the best we could but it was not good enough as we left a couple of gaps and figured it would be ok until we had more time on the weekend. I came home from work the next day to find the hawk in the pen. He did not in any way "rip" the netting. Actually there was no damage to the netting at all. It was completey my fault for waiting till the last minute and rushing and not doing it right in the first place.. Once the netting was done correctly that was the end of that. No more hawk and I have never had another problem with it. It was economical and has served it purpose. Sometimes you don't have to spend alot of money to get the same results as spending more. Just my story on netting.

Okay, so here's my next question...won't raccoons just crawl up to the top and tear through any netting? SouthernChick, do you have problems with raccoons getting into your runs through the top?

Amy

Back
Top Bottom