Hawk Population

Fentress

Songster
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Chesapeake, Va.
I hate to bring this up, but has anyone noticed a decrease in hawk acitivity this year? Although the fall migration season has not started, by now I usually have one or two that have paid a visit. Maybe the stiff winter has decreased their numbers? (knock on wood).

Yeah ive noticed their was a chicken hawk near by and my rooster attacked it and i havent seen it since i always saw it at least 5 times a week also in my uncles farms their has not been some around

I also have a new rooster this year, that could be making a difference. Just curious if others have been seeing the same number of hawks as usuall.

This winter was pretty hard, I hunted with my hawk through most of it and it wasn't until late February until I had days to hunt that were above 15 degrees. However, you'd be surprised how many will show up out of the woodwork. Most hawks that end up preying on chickens are juveniles, and are still learning what they can catch. I've seen a ton of adults around, but I imagine you'll start seeing more juveniles in half a month.

I just lost a juvenile bantam today; probably to the juvenile Red Tailed hawk I've seen here. I haven't noticed fewer hawk numbers, here in southern Michigan, but I'm not actually counting either. Mary

Where I live the Hawks have the right of way and they are watching them from hatching to learning to hunt. Its best if you lock up your chickens Like I do mine. I have giant garder snakes too witch are protected and would love to eat my Bantams they get very big.. I have chain link lined with chicken wire and the aviary wire on top of that. I have Hawks watching the chickens all the time and the snakes come out after the mice that are around every were. They are meadow mice and they are pretty silly. If you want your chickens SAFE have there pen secured from top to bottom with put them in it.

Back
Top Bottom