Hawk scare

Uppity Peon

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Willamette Valley, OR
I was working at my computer as usual when all of a sudden I hear the chickes squawking and carrying on like never before. I went out the back door and that were all hiding, some under the back porch, some in the pavilion thing, and some under some pallets that lean against the compost bin. I started trying to get a count but couldn't find them all. I knew for sure Puff Daddy the Hip Hop Rooster was missing. They were all very nervous still. I looked around and finally spotted a red-tail at the top of a neighbor's pine tree, and I watched as it flew off.

I got a couple slices of bread and tried to get them all assembled at the coop, and gradually they calmed down, but I was still missing Puff and a few other hens. Then I spotted some movement over at my neighbors lawn. There was Puff and his little group of hens, nonchalantly browsing in the grass and exploring! This was the first time they had been over there. I found a hole they had discovered in the bottom of the fence.

After a bit one of the hens flew back into my yard over the 6' fence, but the others didn't seem to want to attempt that. So I went over with my chicken herding stick and tried to start guiding them back to the hole in the fence. I was able to get all but one to the hole and back home. The last one refused to be told which way to go and eventually flew over the fence like the first one.

Well I patched the fence now. And I got my old technet CDs and nailed them to the top of all the big fenceposts. Hopefully the hawk won't make a habit of scaring my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom