Hawk Under Deck

So sorry for your loss!! I just lost one of my girls this past Sunday to a hawk and it is so devastating!! I am a first time chicken owner and I feel so blessed that I have had them for two years and never lost one. My hawk came back today right in front of me while I was feeding them and tried to grab another one. It makes you feel so helpless when the hawk obviously has no fear!
I am searching my brain for things to do to protect my babies!!

Lost my 9-month-old EE to a small hawk or falcon today. It's now stalking my yard since I interrupted it's breakfast
hit.gif
My girls are so freaked out they won't come down from the top of the coop. I don't know what to do about that falcon, though.

I'm sorry to hear that I'm not the only one sad over losing a bird to a hawk today. I just lost my rooster and two of his hens are still missing. I scared the hawk away right after he killed him. I wish I had gone out the door a few minutes earlier. I kept feeling like I needed to check on the chickens. I'm not really psychic, I knew something was after them because they have been hiding a lot lately. I really hate to tell my little boy that his favorite chicken is gone. Bleh!
barnie.gif

Is there any "cure" for a hawk except lead shot?

I lost 2 in the last 2 weeks. One was the "pet"of the flock, my Buff Orpington( and she was the largest hen we had, about 6-7#). We really miss her as she loved people and would jump right up on your lap. The other was one of the EEs. Now he knows there is an easy meal so we have locked the remaining 7 in one of our extra stalls (14X16'). They seem ok in there but I miss seeing them in their large paddock outside my kitchen window! Maybe in 3-4 weeks, mr hawk will forget about them and I'll put them back out.....

It's hard to lose them...

This is an especially bad time of year for hawk attacks in our area. I hate ending free range time, but I locked the girls up a few weeks ago. They only come out this time of year if we're around outside and can keep an eye on them.

I don't recall the hawks staying around this far into the winter.... I hope they move on out. I am kind of glad it has turned colder, the girls don't mind being in the run so much right now. I will keep them penned up for a few more days.

Back
Top Bottom