Hawk!

rach080296

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2016
Today a hawk got one of my chicks I have 15 and there about 5 weeks old. They live in a coop inside of a permere 1 electric fence... My idea is to get some a goose but I only found babies so I'm going to get one and get some black chickens about 6 months old.... I read that black chickens trick hawks and they leave them alone ... Does this sound like it'll work ? How do I introduce them ?

My experience with hawks is that if they are hungry enough they will attack. I have full grown black ducks. One got attacked by hawk this year. Hawks where I am tend to go for smaller prey in the spring and summer when all the babies are being born. But in the winter, if they are hungry, they will go after a larger bird. My Cayuga, 6lbs, was too big to take away but she was badly injured and needed surgery.

That's what I was fearing .... My neighbor has chickens and half his flock has been attacked I'm not sure what to do about the problem there's about 4 or so hawks and an eagle that lives 3 miles away

We have lots of red tail and eagles. The eagles never seem interested. The have been sticking to the waterways. The cooper hawk has swooped down on them never actually tried to grab one. I think it's because they are bigger birds than what the cooper really wants. Cooper hawks is destroying my neighbors blue Martins though. The red tail are my real worry. Mine free range but I supervise them much more from Dec-Feb when food is scarce and there arent as many places to hide. If I leave, I lock them up. When I am home I basically just keep an ear out, check on them often and the ducklings are never unsupervised. I noticed a pattern to when the red tails are the most active. They seem to hate bad weather and only really come by during nice sunny days with slower winds. I considered running wire or putting up a scare crow but after seeing multiple videos of red tail hawks and talking to people, it seems if they want to attack they will. Even right in front of owners.

Today a hawk got one of my chicks I have 15 and there about 5 weeks old. They live in a coop inside of a permere 1 electric fence... My idea is to get some a goose but I only found babies so I'm going to get one and get some black chickens about 6 months old.... I read that black chickens trick hawks and they leave them alone ... Does this sound like it'll work ? How do I introduce them ?
Type of hawk important. Coloration will not protect the chickens. Short-term fix is denying hawks and other predators access to the chickens.

I have to say that I had a black chicken killed by a hawk 2 months ago. I have had every color chicken killed by a hawk. Full grown chickens. Recently we tied fishing line from the coop to some trees making a matrix, criss cross type pattern. No attacks since that happened. I also have made scare crow in the past but they work best if they can be moved every couple of days. I think the fishing line is helping but I don't want to jinx myself. It has been 2 months and no losses.

I have to say that I had a black chicken killed by a hawk 2 months ago. I have had every color chicken killed by a hawk. Full grown chickens. Recently we tied fishing line from the coop to some trees making a matrix, criss cross type pattern. No attacks since that happened. I also have made scare crow in the past but they work best if they can be moved every couple of days. I think the fishing line is helping but I don't want to jinx myself. It has been 2 months and no losses.

I've considered doing that but our hawk perches on our fence and does not dive. It attacked my duck right up against my house at the glass door. So I figured he is way too gutsy. I hope it works for you too. I've heard some people having success with the line. Our hawks are used to the suburbs and hunting in front of people and in small yards.

When you have a hawk visitation, you need to lock your chickens in their safe coop and covered run for at least two weeks, or longer. That hawk will be back!!!
Your chicks are more vulnerable because they are small, and they didn't know the risk. Now they will be more careful, but still vulnerable, which is why they need to be on lockdown.
Having shrubs, picnic tables, or other hiding places will help too in the future.
There are no magic colors that will matter to raptors!
Your electric fence will make a huge difference regarding ground predators, but not raptors.
Mary

What I'm going to try is I put some long strips of black garbage bags where it looks like a ribbon tied up high in a couple corners I some lady told me to try that because they get scared of the long waving flags and then I got some geese that'll be housed with them as well .... And I'm having the chicks stay in their house for a couple days I'm not able to put a roof of on their run it's a mobile coupe and portable electric fence

Back
Top Bottom