Hawks and Eagles

chickyfarm

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
I have read some posts on this topic but thought I'd start a fresh one.

I plan on having a coop and run for my chickens, but want to free range when I am outside. I have never owned chickens before, and just ordered 10 RIRs and 5 Americanas, all females, to be delivered April 13th. I'm excited and have everything but the feed ready to go!

My question is, when I, and my children, are outside and let the chickens out, will they stay close to us or will I have to worry about them running off? Also, what are some tricks to get them back into their coop once we go inside?

They aren't going to stay right at your feet but they normally don't wander too far off from the coop while free ranging. For the most part they won't all go back into the coop until it starts getting dark. Unless you kind of train them with treats you could grab a cup full of corn and scratch and throw it in their run when you guys are ready to go inside. When they are all in you can shut the gate.

They aren't going to stay right at your feet but they normally don't wander too far off from the coop while free ranging. For the most part they won't all go back into the coop until it starts getting dark. Unless you kind of train them with treats you could grab a cup full of corn and scratch and throw it in their run when you guys are ready to go inside. When they are all in you can shut the gate.
thank you for the idea! I will work on training them for treats. Wish kids were that easy lol

I have read some posts on this topic but thought I'd start a fresh one.

I plan on having a coop and run for my chickens, but want to free range when I am outside. I have never owned chickens before, and just ordered 10 RIRs and 5 Americanas, all females, to be delivered April 13th. I'm excited and have everything but the feed ready to go!

My question is, when I, and my children, are outside and let the chickens out, will they stay close to us or will I have to worry about them running off? Also, what are some tricks to get them back into their coop once we go inside?

When I free-ranged my chickens, I found that they go the farthest when they are first let out and make their way back as it gets closer to sunset once they associate the coop with their home. Mine always kept their coop in sight and never went further than about 100 yards. In general, most of them stayed within about 200 feet.

Ours always stayed on their own schedule. In fact, you could set your watch by them because during the summer, they'd run by our window at exactly 8pm on their way back to the coop. It was always so funny to see them race each other for the best place on the roosts!
lau.gif

When I free-ranged my chickens, I found that they go the farthest when they are first let out and make their way back as it gets closer to sunset once they associate the coop with their home.  Mine always kept their coop in sight and never went further than about 100 yards.  In general, most of them stayed within about 200 feet. 

Ours always stayed on their own schedule.  In fact, you could set your watch by them because during the summer, they'd run by our window at exactly 8pm on their way back to the coop.  It was always so funny to see them race each other for the best place on the roosts!:lau  
that image just made me lol. I can't wait to get my chicks!

The more you have the more dynamics you'll get to see. We had three that stuck together that we called our "NASCAR" chickens. They would just go around and around the house eating bugs and weeds. LOL!!! The ones who went out to the edge of the property were our off road series chickens.
wink.png
And of course you need to have enough to get a good game of Chicken Football going. Toss in a small frog or a large bug or some other treat and watch them go!!

I just made a awesome cover to my run!

It required aluminum wire, wire cutters and plastic bird netting.

I just strung the wire from ost, tree, and fence to make a frame. Like a circus tent. And threw the netting on top!
No more hawks!

[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom