Hawks-too many!

Jenn1018

Songster
Apr 15, 2019
Snellville, Georgia
Okay my BYC pros…I’m sure I already know the answer but I’m desperate. I’ve had chickens 10 years. Maybe I’ve lost two to hawks. Then I moved two years ago and I lost 4 my first year. Devastated is an understatement. They went on lockdown and have for the past year. I just got 14 babies that maybe would be more “hawk proof” but I’m seeing hawks land in my yard every other day. I’m at my wits end. I’ve tried all the gimmicky things. CDs. Streamers. Etc. I can’t keep the babies locked up I just don’t have the room to do it and specifically bought for free ranging. Is the only answer “we’ll you’re just going to have your babies picked off one by one cuz there’s nothing you can do about it?” And can I really throw these sweet little babies in the yard and say “well good luck, I know we have a serious hawk problem but oh well”. Obviously I’m not throwing little babies in the yard. Waiting till they are full size hoping maybe they’ll have a fighting chance….leghorn and legbar.
I’m hoping maybe someone has some experience in driving hawks away…. I’m desperate at this point. Thank you!!

It's that time of year. Hawks follow the migration and your little chicken nuggets look like an easy snack on their way through. The only way to keep them safe at this age is a fully enclosed run. The hawks relentlessly attacked my run every day when mine where little.

Later when they are bigger, some of the "gimmicks" will work. Mine is string strung all over their chicken yard. But that will not stop a hungry hawk after babies.

'Free ranging' is a fantasy in many places, and at times about everywhere. You will apparently need a larger safe run for them, at least a lot longer than you planned.
My flock was locked in for six months this year because of AI, and will very likely be locked in again, just over that. And we have fewer birds than usual, because of the lock down thing...
Mary

I’ve always done supervised free ranging.
The rest of the time they are in a large predator proof run with bird netting covering the whole thing. Only once in my 4 years of having chickens did a hawk crash into the netting, and it was going after babies.

As mentioned above, the hawks are just beginning to migrate and you are likely very near the east coast flyway. It's a bad time to try to turn out chicks as the hawks will no doubt be looking for some fast food while on their journey south.

Okay my BYC pros…I’m sure I already know the answer but I’m desperate. I’ve had chickens 10 years. Maybe I’ve lost two to hawks. Then I moved two years ago and I lost 4 my first year. Devastated is an understatement. They went on lockdown and have for the past year. I just got 14 babies that maybe would be more “hawk proof” but I’m seeing hawks land in my yard every other day. I’m at my wits end. I’ve tried all the gimmicky things. CDs. Streamers. Etc. I can’t keep the babies locked up I just don’t have the room to do it and specifically bought for free ranging. Is the only answer “we’ll you’re just going to have your babies picked off one by one cuz there’s nothing you can do about it?” And can I really throw these sweet little babies in the yard and say “well good luck, I know we have a serious hawk problem but oh well”. Obviously I’m not throwing little babies in the yard. Waiting till they are full size hoping maybe they’ll have a fighting chance….leghorn and legbar.
I’m hoping maybe someone has some experience in driving hawks away…. I’m desperate at this point. Thank you!!
Not all areas are safe to free range chickens as you've already discovered. You may want to build a chicken tractor which is what I did. .Good luck!

If you insist on free ranging (I understand, I let mine out when I can supervise) you can provide many places to hide - bushes, pallets, table, etc. My hens run and hide immediately when they see a large bird flying overhead and the older, more experienced chickens will teach new ones to do the same.

When birds of prey are migrating its the most dangerous time to free range. Chicks hatched by your own birds are more predator savvy that human raised chicks. The older chickens will teach the young chicks to hide. You have no other options if you bought these to free range and don't have a run or chicken tractor for them. There is no way to remove the risks of them being killed if Hawks are already landing in your yard & you haven't even started yet.

IF you still want to free range know that hawks look for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Avoid those times.
"Safer" times are 10 a.m. 2 p.m only for 1 hour.
Pay very close attention to the wild birds. They will let you know if one is in the area.

Don't let the babies get far from you and carry a rake.

And teach them to come to you quickly. It can save their life one day. I have a special cup I use for their treats. They see it they come running.

Back
Top Bottom