hay for brooder?

We have been using pine shavings and they work well. Easy to scoop out with a dustpan when needed and it absorbs the spilled water when they make a mess.

Mine says "Medium", which doesnt really help much. I think if it was me I would choose the one that is a bigger shaving so there is less dust. Just my preference.

Iv'e heard the cedar shavings are bed too, I am using straw, it rarely hurts anything
tongue.png

You want the larger shavings to prevent them from eating them. Less dust also.
I got the "flake" shavings, and they seemed to be eating quite a bit of it anyway. Tried eating pieces bigger than their heads, but obviously those ones got spit out. But there are still plenty of pieces small enough to swallow.

Been in there since last night and seem okay this morning. Hope so!

I'd much rather have straw anyway since it composts so nicely, but I can't figure out where to get it!

Cedar emits toxic fumes that can harm chickens, it's why cedar is used inside closets, the gasses emitted eliminate bugs. Green hay isn't so great if it gets wet, it will mold and decompose, also giving off fumes, it's fine if it stays dry...hard to do in a chicken coop. Straw is good for cold temp and nest boxes since it stays in place better. Pine chips are nice in that they absorb liquid, then the poop gets sifted down and the top layer stays clean, don't knock over your water or it gets pretty soggy, I think they may peck and eat some of it, but still gobble down their food, chickens eat so many things including styrofoam so I don't worry about that. Sometimes it comes down to just what is easier for you, the chickens don't seem to care much.

Wood shavings are probably the most common brooder bedding material there is. I've used it myself for many years and have started many hundreds of birds on it. Have never lost a chick to eating the shavings. Even cedar shavings would be OK if you have plenty of air flow. I would not use them in a plastic bin or anything where the airflow might be constricted.

Hay or straw can be used but it's not as absorptive as shavings and can be harder to work with.

Ok heres a new one for you. I used Pine shavings for years had to clean weekly. Then started using Wood pellets.
Yes, the ones you use in the stoves.I LOVE them they hold the smell down longer. When they absorb the moisture they turn to saw dust. I then clean brooder boxes with a metal dust pan. Place the sawdust around Blueberries or flowerbeds as mulch.
All I can say is try it.

Back
Top Bottom