Head Bobbing, Nasally Noise, Mouth Open, Clear throwup!

cheerfulchicken

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
Hi BYC!

My hen is making weird head-bobbing motions and her mouth is open a lot. She has clear throwup on her beard. She also makes small nasally noises like she has a stuffy nose. Attached are some pictures and a video.

Is there anything I should do? I put VetRX on her and I put it in her water too.

Thank you all in advance for the help!
smile.png

0.jpg

Last edited:
I would get her to the vet since it is unclear what is wrong. Are you feed her some grit, grit helps the digestive track. Chickens will throw up but this is bad

Can you take her to a vet?

Is she pooping?
Has her crop emptied overnight? How does it feel - hard, soft, squishy, etc.?
Do you offer poultry grit (crushed granite)?
Any odor to the discharge from the beak (sour smell)?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How old is she?

Try to keep her beak cleared of discharge/mucous. Look inside to beak to make sure there are no plagues/canker or blockages. Try to keep her hydrated and add some poultry vitamins to her water. Personally I would only feed her wet poultry feed at this time until you figure out what's going on with her. If she has a crop issue, she needs grit, water and wet feed only.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Thank you both for the advice! She is doing a lot better today. She is eating and drinking. I think the VetRx helped a lot!! :)

Back
Top Bottom