Head Shaking..Parisite or Behavior?

Gracefulspice

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Pa
I noticed yesterday my 1 Buff orpington hen was shaking her head. It's a real quick shake, she is still eating, drinking, pooping...everything is normal as usual...just shakes her head. I looked to see if I could see any type of mites. I didn't notice any, and none of my other hens are doing this. She is still doing it this morning, not as often as yesterday. Could it be a bug in her ear. I tried to look for that also....but I really don't see an opening to an ear canal. Do they have one?
I tried looking this up on the net and didn't have much luck, so anyone with an idea would be great. Thanks!!

Look closely around the back of the neck and see there any tiny mites. They look like specks of dirt ........ that move. <shudder>
Ive seen birds with bad mites shake their heads like that.

chel

If she just started this I think she has a problem of some kind. I believe if it was genetic, she would have done it as a chick also.

It might also be the beginning of a respiratory problem. She may be trying to shake her nostrils clear.

You can get some VetRx, rub it on her nostrils, head, under her wings.
Add apple cider vinegar or electrolytes to the water.

Others may have tips for more things to look for.

Jean

My young chicks do this sometimes,but only when they fly up for roost,they do it for a couple minutes and then fall asleep.

I had no idea it could of been a problem.
My older chicks have seemed to grow out of it.
Since they only did it for a couple of minutes before they went to bed i didnt think much of it.
Maybee i ought to do something?

Also i recently noticed my birds sneezing alot,is this normal?When they sneeze water comes out of thier mouth/nose.

chickenwoods, I am by far no expert, but it sounds like your chickens have a respiratory infection. I would try the above mentioned VetRX treatment.

I do belive your all right about the respiratory infection. I heard her sneeze yesterday and today. When I held her again to check for mites I could hear she sounded like she had a stuffy nose too. Our feed mill was closed yesterday and today for the holiday so I'll have to wait till tomarrow to get the VetRX and electrolites to the water. I'll get some of that Apple cider vingar too. They like to be out in the rain, Mabey that how she got this cold thing? Guess it's a good idea to treat them all too.

Thanks for the help and information.
smile.png

If those remedies don't help, get some Sulmet soluble powder.
The package should give you instructions, but it may be a bit confusing. I get the 1 lb. size that tells you to put entire package into 1 gallon of water.
I store this in the refrigerator, & give 2 Tablespoons (1 fluid oz.) per gallon of water for 7 days, followed by 3 days of electrolytes.

Clears my rain loving ones right up, until the next time they think they are ducks!!!!

I would treat them all, in case the others are not showing any signs yet.

Jean

Great thought on the eucalyptus oil. I can't find the VetRx. I'd like to keep it topical so we can still have the eggs for breakfast. I posted a seperate thread on measurements for the ACV to water and someone mentioned crushed garlic in the water too. I'll try that tomarrow. Along with the oil. That I have on hand. Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom