Head Trauma?

Zoochick999

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
Hello, I’m raising some chicks and have been having some issues with this run. I have my ayam cemani and polish together as they grew way faster than the silkie chicks. I was treating them with corid and they seemed to do better so I then started to give them vitamin supplements immediately after to help build up their systems. I gave them nutri-drench the first two days and then gave them this other vitamin supplement for another 3 days. Today was the day I was going to stop supplementing but this morning I found one of the polish not doing well. It’s head seemed reder than usual and I noticed it laying in the ground. One of the cemani was pecking at its head but I suspect it was doing this as the polish was showing signs of sickness/weakness. They were both raised with each other and I have seen no aggression before whatsoever. I do think that this may be from head trauma, either from it jumping up or from another chick. The affected polish seems weak and a little limp but was taking some coconut water and food mashed up. When I set it down it chirps and shivers a little. The cemani and polish are around 6-7 weeks old. This chick was perfectly fine yesterday and was running around crazy as usual. I just don’t know what’s going on and it’s disheartening. I’m doing everything right by the books. I recently got a frizzle chick and a houdan who developed wry neck (silkie now healed) and a slipped tendon(houdan did not recover) from one of the breeders I bought from( who I will not buy from again) so it feels like shit is hitting the fan now. I clean and check up on the chicks multiple times a day now as I’m trying to keep their area clean from coccidia and this just came out of the blue. I’ve never had such issues with other chicks I’ve had in the past. If anyone could input feedback that would be appreciated. All chicks are around the same size as well, with this polish actually being the largest one of all four. Picture of their brooder setup is down below, after treatment I was going to get ready and put them outside as they seem large enough but I wanted a few days to monitor them after their treatment. I don’t see any mucus or respiratory issues, it seems alert for the condition it is in.

Attachments

• E52B3961-7C64-4F6F-943E-5C95DF44260A.jpeg
    E52B3961-7C64-4F6F-943E-5C95DF44260A.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 39
  • F55081BA-0253-4931-824E-5AD88CC9432E.jpeg
    F55081BA-0253-4931-824E-5AD88CC9432E.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 14C4C94A-0A7E-48D1-9668-59E17DF69B6A.jpeg
    14C4C94A-0A7E-48D1-9668-59E17DF69B6A.jpeg
    308.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 26347236-DEC9-4371-B1EE-A220DB004EC9.jpeg
    26347236-DEC9-4371-B1EE-A220DB004EC9.jpeg
    675.5 KB · Views: 4
Polishes, houdans, silkies etc are prone to getting plucked and neurological issues. She's likely being plucking from cramped conditions, the plucking will likely stop once they have room. Slipped tendon isn't a breeder issue, it just happens.

Polishes, houdans, silkies etc are prone to getting plucked and neurological issues. She's likely being plucking from cramped conditions, the plucking will likely stop once they have room. Slipped tendon isn't a breeder issue, it just happens.
I have it separated from the rest for now, in a few days I’m going to move the rest to a larger outdoor coop. Any else I can do? I heard wry neck and slipped tendon could be from vitamin deficiencies from the parents or genetic as well.

I have it separated from the rest for now, in a few days I’m going to move the rest to a larger outdoor coop. Any else I can do? I heard wry neck and slipped tendon could be from vitamin deficiencies from the parents or genetic as well.
Vitamin deficiency comes from the diet or just some breeds are prone to it, such as crested breeds. Slipped tendon is an injury, not really genetic. You can treat for vitamin deficiency like you have but I think more space is your answer.

Hello, I’m raising some chicks and have been having some issues with this run. I have my ayam cemani and polish together as they grew way faster than the silkie chicks. I was treating them with corid and they seemed to do better so I then started to give them vitamin supplements immediately after to help build up their systems. I gave them nutri-drench the first two days and then gave them this other vitamin supplement for another 3 days. Today was the day I was going to stop supplementing but this morning I found one of the polish not doing well. It’s head seemed reder than usual and I noticed it laying in the ground. One of the cemani was pecking at its head but I suspect it was doing this as the polish was showing signs of sickness/weakness. They were both raised with each other and I have seen no aggression before whatsoever. I do think that this may be from head trauma, either from it jumping up or from another chick. The affected polish seems weak and a little limp but was taking some coconut water and food mashed up. When I set it down it chirps and shivers a little. The cemani and polish are around 6-7 weeks old. This chick was perfectly fine yesterday and was running around crazy as usual. I just don’t know what’s going on and it’s disheartening. I’m doing everything right by the books. I recently got a frizzle chick and a houdan who developed wry neck (silkie now healed) and a slipped tendon(houdan did not recover) from one of the breeders I bought from( who I will not buy from again) so it feels like shit is hitting the fan now. I clean and check up on the chicks multiple times a day now as I’m trying to keep their area clean from coccidia and this just came out of the blue. I’ve never had such issues with other chicks I’ve had in the past. If anyone could input feedback that would be appreciated. All chicks are around the same size as well, with this polish actually being the largest one of all four. Picture of their brooder setup is down below, after treatment I was going to get ready and put them outside as they seem large enough but I wanted a few days to monitor them after their treatment. I don’t see any mucus or respiratory issues, it seems alert for the condition it is in.
Polish chickens and silky (I hope I write correct ) chickens prone to get head trauma more because of the design of their skull
Head trauma shows symptoms like circling , star gazing , , walking backwards or lethargy after injury
I still remember that my rooster keep pecking on my other one’s head after that he developed walking backwards I started to give One Capsule of vitamin E one time in every 3 days ( as per weight u can give mine was 3 kg and 2 year old)
Half cap is good for minimum weight
Vitamin e is only a choice of med for any neurological issue developed I use regular human caps
But u can get vet branded vitamin e selenium for antioxidants u can give some milk thistle supplements or Moringa extract

Polish chickens and silky (I hope I write correct ) chickens prone to get head trauma more because of the design of their skull
Head trauma shows symptoms like circling , star gazing , , walking backwards or lethargy after injury
I still remember that my rooster keep pecking on my other one’s head after that he developed walking backwards I started to give One Capsule of vitamin E one time in every 3 days ( as per weight u can give mine was 3 kg and 2 year old)
Half cap is good for minimum weight
Vitamin e is only a choice of med for any neurological issue developed I use regular human caps
But u can get vet branded vitamin e selenium for antioxidants u can give some milk thistle supplements or Moringa extract
I gave it selenium and vit. E with supplements and coco water, and raw egg and it made a full recovery:)

Back
Top Bottom