Head tremor

I like that idea for prevention. They do get some sunflower seeds in a treat square I put out weekly. Do you use the raw, unsalted shelled sunflower seeds? Right now, I have some roasted, salted ones. I see they have them on Amazon.
For the little ones I speak of and as treats, I have two sources on Amazon and just saw my last one was out of stock, but here's the other. They last forever if I'd quit eating them too. ☺️

https://www.amazon.com/Got-Nuts-Sunflower-seeds-pounds/dp/B00CL3ICL8?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Reba seems a bit better this morning. More interest in scrambled eggs with vitamins this morning. And more interest in her usual grower feed. I did find a roundworm in her poo from this morning. We just finished the 5-day treatment with Safeguard AquaSol, so kindof disappointed. Would it be normal to find a dead worm in poo after worming? If not, should I do another round of it? The yellow bits in the photo are scrambled egg, not her poo.View attachment 3666423
Dead worms don't mean the treatment didn't work. In fact, it's proving it did because it's dead.

That's awesome then! Maybe this was her biggest problem! Worms can kill chickens so it's a good thing you treated her.

Dead worms don't mean the treatment didn't work. In fact, it's proving it did because it's dead.

That's awesome then! Maybe this was her biggest problem! Worms can kill chickens so it's a good thing you treated her.
How long would I expect to see dead worms in her poop after worming? We finished the worming a week ago. I noticed she was eating a lot a few days ago. Just wanting to make sure she doesn’t need a re-treatment. Since it was a water treatment for 5 days, the only water source, I would hope she got enough. But, I’m fine with retreating if needed.

How long would I expect to see dead worms in her poop after worming? We finished the worming a week ago. I noticed she was eating a lot a few days ago. Just wanting to make sure she doesn’t need a re-treatment. Since it was a water treatment for 5 days, the only water source, I would hope she got enough. But, I’m fine with retreating if needed.
It's normal to possibly see dead worms for a few days after treating them but most are absorbed or digested by the chicken. Any longer than a week though I'd become suspicious. You don't always see chickens poop the worms out so if she keeps on doing it, she maybe had/has a lot at different stages. Many folks as well as some dewormer products recommend retreating in 10 days to two weeks.

You actually may need to retreat them down the road anyway as the source of where the worms came from could have eggs and she'll get them again.

Make sure she's getting probiotics after treatment too. (Greek yogurt (sugarless), Hydro Hen, or ACV w/ mother (1 tbsp/gallon) every other day for a couple of weeks, for example.)

It's normal to possibly see dead worms for a few days after treating them but most are absorbed or digested by the chicken. Any longer than a week though I'd become suspicious. You don't always see chickens poop the worms out so if she keeps on doing it, she maybe had/has a lot at different stages. Many folks as well as some dewormer products recommend retreating in 10 days to two weeks.

You actually may need to retreat them down the road anyway as the source of where the worms came from could have eggs and she'll get them again.

Make sure she's getting probiotics after treatment too. (Greek yogurt (sugarless), Hydro Hen, or ACV w/ mother (1 tbsp/gallon) every other day for a couple of weeks, for example.)
Thank you for the info! I'll be able to monitor her poop while she's isolated, so will retreat in the next few days if needed. I'm starting to think that maybe a worm overload has caused some of her current symptoms, due to malnutrition/malabsorption. I make my own yogurt, so will offer her some of that, along with some fermented grower crumble. Appreciate your help. Seems like everyday there's a new lesson in chicken raising.

Thank you for the info! I'll be able to monitor her poop while she's isolated, so will retreat in the next few days if needed. I'm starting to think that maybe a worm overload has caused some of her current symptoms, due to malnutrition/malabsorption. I make my own yogurt, so will offer her some of that, along with some fermented grower crumble. Appreciate your help. Seems like everyday there's a new lesson in chicken raising.
Oh that's awesome Moosey! I just made a jar of ferment when it dawned on me that is very high in probiotics so was going to come back here and suggest that too but you're way ahead of me! :love I'm old and getting forgetful I guess. ☺️

If you continue to see worms, or symptoms of worms, then I would retreat with either Valbazen, or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, and treat directly orally. The issue with the aquasol is that if a bird is feeling unwell, they may not drink enough to get the correct dose. It's hard to know for sure. Dosing them orally there is no question that they got the entire correct dose. I'm not a fan of medicating in water for most things, because of that issue. Sick birds often don't eat or drink normally.
And worms can cause all kinds of issues, including death in some cases. I deal with roundworm all the time, and have lost birds. They can get very, very sick in some cases, and can have secondary bacterial infections from them too. They can also become blocked by a load of worms.

If you continue to see worms, or symptoms of worms, then I would retreat with either Valbazen, or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, and treat directly orally. The issue with the aquasol is that if a bird is feeling unwell, they may not drink enough to get the correct dose. It's hard to know for sure. Dosing them orally there is no question that they got the entire correct dose. I'm not a fan of medicating in water for most things, because of that issue. Sick birds often don't eat or drink normally.
And worms can cause all kinds of issues, including death in some cases. I deal with roundworm all the time, and have lost birds. They can get very, very sick in some cases, and can have secondary bacterial infections from them too. They can also become blocked by a load of worms.
Thank you. I do have Valbazen so will treat with that if needed.

Update on Reba. No worms seen today. I'm pretty sure its wry neck, although I have no idea how that happened. They get good quality feed. I did have a Purina flock block for them when I was gone on vacation (to prevent the older hens from pecking on the newer ones), so maybe she primarily ate that while we were gone? They have 3 food and 3 water stations in their run (just 5 chickens). I'm trying to give her the Vit E, selenium, and B complex daily, along with some nutradrench in the water. She did not seem interested in the scrambled eggs (with the supplements) this morning, but is eating her regular grower food and drinking water. I'm wondering if I can put the Vitamin E in the water, since she seems to drink fairly often. I read wry neck can take a while to see any improvements. I do have concerns about her getting cold at night. Her isolation room is in the garage (unheated) and temperatures are supposed to drop below freezing at night. I have a space heater to use during the day, but do not want to leave it running unattended at night. Any ideas for over night? Hand warmers?

Back
Top Bottom