Head Twitching - Stressed or Sick?

Msfur08

Chirping
May 25, 2019
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Speckled Sussex hen, 4-5months old, Seems like a normal weight.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is twitching her head frequently, similar to the way they might if a fly were buzzing around them, except there’s no bug near her. Her comb might be a bit pale, but it never really is very dark anyway.

I don’t think it’s ear mites because I put DE in all the places they like to dust bathe and she really rubs her whole head and gets really “into” her baths. She hasn’t been scratching either. She acts normal other than the twitching. (It actually reminds me of the “tic” my five year old daughter gets when she is really stressed. Like she is trying to get hair out of her face over and over when nothing is there.)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
She did this for a while when I was first getting my flock together. (I got chickens from a few different places all within a few weeks before realizing I was supposed to quarantine for weeks before introducing. I have ten total from 4 places. This one was part of a group of five which were the first ones I got. One of the five in her group died suddenly three days after I got them - that one had bloody stool for two days before dying. They were all given antibiotics for three days, and Hydro Hen, then a preventative course of Corid for two weeks to build immunity to other strains of cocci, followed by vitamins and probiotics for three days. They were also given DE, apple cider vinegar, and garlic during this time. No one else had bloody stools or seemed sick except one seemed tired at the end of the day for two days in a row at the end of the Corid, which was when I started the vitamins because I worried the Corid created a B vitamin deficiency.)

Then I noticed today she was twitching her head again after not doing it for a while.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

But I will note here that my neighbor two doors down has many chickens, ducks, and geese that come close to my chickens. She hasn’t mentioned any issues, but I don’t know if any of hers are sick.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
I looked her over and didn’t see any evidence of trauma. The rooster doesn’t seem super fond of her, so he pecks her sometimes. But she has a buddy who chases the rooster off for her most of the time.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Yesterday was my youngest daughter’s birthday party. I went out to show my friend the chickens and all the kids and other adults ended up coming out. One kid in particular kept chasing the chickens even after being told to stop. (I ended up taking the kid inside and putting her in timeout myself because her guardian wouldn’t do anything other than tell her to stop - which she ignored.) I’m wondering if having so many strangers in their space could cause this specific hen to get too stressed. I always say she’s a cry baby because she squawks loudly when our rooster even comes towards her. Maybe she is more prone to stress/fear than the others?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
None are laying yet, so I have them on chick starter, unmedicated, organic. I give them a little organic scratch with DE and garlic powder mixed in it. They are given lots of grit. They get basil, lettuce, and parsley from the garden (no pesticides). They free range in the yard half the day (the dog gets the yard the other half) from about lunch time until dusk, so whatever bugs and grass they pickup. She seems to be eating normally.

Usually, they have been getting plain water. Today, I put some stuff for chickens in the water that has vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics. I saw her drink a good bit, as much as the others.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I haven’t noticed any unusual stools as far as I can tell. No blood. It has been hot, so they are drinking a lot and that makes some poops watery. Some is cecal. Sometimes they have a liquid white poop. Some is green (I figure from all the grass they eat.)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Just the addition to the water today and looking at her a lot.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Would prefer to do as much as possible myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Would have to take a video.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
I have part of my garage partitioned off for them. (A quarter of a two car garage.) The top half is open. (It’s really just some chainlink fence around their section with some garden fabric around it to block their view and minimize litter getting kicked out). I keep it open during the day and a fan on to ventilate it. There’s aspen and pine bedding. I also have a dust bath in there in the corner for them for days when it is too muddy (which is often) or sometimes if I have to keep them inside all day if I won’t be home until late (rare). I’m using the deep litter method, but most poop ends up on the poop board, so it stays pretty clean.

Sour crop and gapeworm are my immediate thoughts. Sour crop is easy to find—lethargy, not eating or drinking much, and full, watery crop first thing in the morning. As for the head movements, these could be due to crop discomfort. Impacted crop is also possible. Gapeworm is sneakier, though—it’s good at pretending to be respiratory infections. Any other symptoms, such as sneezing, coughing, etc? If it’s just the head movements, and she looks like she’s gasping for air, treat for gapeworm.

She’s been eating and drinking pretty well. No signs of lethargy.

I saw one of my other chickens sneeze yesterday or the day before. I like to sit out and watch them. Do chickens sometimes sneeze randomly like humans or is it always a sign of illness?

They’ve all had their mouths open a lot, but it has been 80-90 degrees everyday and they don’t do it when it is cooler.

Would it hurt them to treat for gapeworms just in case? If it is safe to do as a precaution, how are they treated for gapeworms?

Sneezing in chickens is usually a sign that there’s something in their throat. My chickens get very excited when I feed them, and when they eat too fast, they have to sneeze to get food out of their throats. Mine also leave their mouths hanging open when it’s hot. If there’s no other symptoms, no lethargy at all, you don’t have much to worry about. Treating for worms as a precaution is fine—lots of people do it annually just in case.
Is she still laying? If so, she probably doesn’t have worms. Sounds like you’ve got healthy chickens, overall.

They haven’t started laying yet. I forgot their exact ages, but they are still under six months (4-5 mo. I think), so I wasn’t expecting eggs until late summer.

Ahh, ok. To be honest, until they start showing some other signs (lethargy and going off food being the biggest ones), I don’t think you should worry. Just wait it out for now. Head twitching can also be neurological—one of my chickens frequently walks backwards and shakes her head—or a sign of notes or ear infection, which you’ve already ruled out.
Good luck! You’re right, they should start laying soon.

Okay. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I also have seen her eat the fluffy under feathers that fall off of them. Not sure if that’s important. I haven’t seen the others do this.

Okay. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I also have seen her eat the fluffy under feathers that fall off of them. Not sure if that’s important. I haven’t seen the others do this.
Interesting. If she’s eating feathers, maybe she has protein deficiency? Check out the protein content in her feed. Feeding some dried mealworms, crickets, or another source of protein might help with this.

Thanks! I will have to pick up some meal worms. I guess I figured I always see them swallowing earthworms (we have a ton of bugs in our yard this year), so they didn’t need mealworms. And I had read that too much protein can damage their kidneys. But I guess if it is offered separately it will be fine.

Also, the twitching has decreased, so I’m hoping it was just stress. (And if so, the remaining twitch could be from all the fireworks with tonight being the 4th). She is still acting normal aside from all of them being really hot from the 90 degree weather. I tried putting ice cubes in their water today, but all the ice pretty much melted by the time I finished dumping the tray in.

Back
Top Bottom