headless chickens, left for dead. Does anyone know what could be getting my birds?

mschreiner1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 24, 2012
In the fall I lost 4 free ranging birds at dusk. One headless the rest left for dead (even the rooster was taken out). I was devastated. After that I started locking the birds up and only letting them out when I was in the yard. This morning I put my surviving 5 birds in the fenced in garden, but my buttercup always flies out and unfortunately did that this am. It was 10 am when I put them in the garden and by 11am I found her decapitated in the yard, feathers everywhere. Wondering what might be getting my girls. Fox? Coyote? Thought those only hunted at dusk or dawn. She was 1 year old, but not a huge bird. Could it be a hawk? I don't think it would be as heartbreaking if they just took the whole bird, but the take off the head and leave the meat is really upsetting.

Let me preceed this by saying I'm sorry for your loss.

In my outdoory lifestyle of hunting and fishing the one animal that will start w/ the head is a bird or prey.
I had a friend that had a Coopers Hawk that was decapitating his cochins. He said the bird wouldn't even slow down...in one swoop would hit and fly to a limb w/ head in tow.

Sounds like you have a killer bird....
Mike

That is so sad, hope you get to the bottom of it and can protect your remaining birds
sad.png

Thank you! This weekend my husband is going to build me a run for my coop. My coop is a a big shed with plenty of room for my 4 girls. So for the past year I've been either letting them free range or go in my large fenced in garden. Now with this recent lost I have put the pressure on my man to build me a covered run. Soon 8 chicks will be joining our flock. Keeping my fingers crossed that he gets it built this weekend.

Hi && Welcome!!!
wee.gif

I'm sorry for your loss :(
I'm not completely sure as to what could be doing this. My first guess was a dog or even coyote but they don't normally decapitate. Hopefully someone more helpful will will jump in here!
Glad you joined us.,

I have seen a large red tailed hawk flying over my property. Hmmmm so that's probably my killer bird. Ugh!

I heard a good suggestion about adding one of those wild game cameras with the motion sensors. Might let you know whats sneaking around your yard when your not there. I have also heard it suggested that running thin wire criss crossing the yard well over head height throws off the raptors when they dive. Although I have never tried this, I think it would buy your chickens more warning and perhaps time to get away. Its hard not to notice a huge killer bird slamming un ceremoniously into the ground.

yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom