HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Rather presumptive to think you're busier than those you want to summarize for you. I'm sure most BYC members are at least as busy.

I freely admit I always feel offended when someone suggests their time is more valuable or limited than mine.

And I also know how desperate and cranky I can feel when google fights back and I need information quickly. With that in mind, I gave the best help I could.

If the followup responses to that help is gracious, then I'm willing to believe the hurried person meant no offense.

The way this stuff is hitting commercial flocks so hard, where bio security is serious business, I keep thinking eco terrorism. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist.

I do understand that once the AI is in a facility it will probably spread fast. But with all the birds locked up inside, with bleach baths and stuff surrounding the buildings, how on earth is it getting IN? And why isn't every backyard flock in the same migratory zones also affected?

I'm glad I'm not the person who has to figure out how to handle millions of dead birds responsibly.

Well, flies and mosquitos may be a possibility? I don't know how well commerical operations keep them out. I imagine it's hard to keep every mouse out too.

Genetic diversity. I believe that is why commercial flocks are so prone to getting sickened by the disease. Commerical flocks very likely have little genetic diversity since they are bred for specific traits such as weight gain and laying production. Backyard flocks are more genetically diverse, just as wild bird populations are. That's why you don't see many deaths in them even though they are carriers. Only the weak succumb.
UGH! I've read a few articles where they throw around the idea of AI being transmitted from creepy crawlies but you may be onto something with genetic diversity. My husband and I were batting around the idea of it being in the feed but you guys all make great points with other theories. I'll be so glad (along with every other flock owner) when they finally determine the origin of this terrible disease.

As for the feed, unless it is a conspiracy, it won't be in the feed since it is all heat treated which should kill the virus.
That makes me feel a lot better, I didn't realize feed was heat treated. I've so much to learn..but I'll eventually get it all to sink in. LOL
Thank you ChickenCanoe I appreciate your input.
jumpy.gif

The soy has to be heat treated to make it food worthy. The whole thing gets mixed and then usually steamed. It has to reach 75C to kill salmonella and other things..

As for the feed, unless it is a conspiracy, it won't be in the feed since it is all heat treated which should kill the virus.

Feed, for the most part, is not heat treated. Grains are dried for storage, but the heat level is nowhere near sterilization temps. And that is only post-harvest, pre-storage.

Duly noted, soy is an exception. But once steamed, it is treated as a grain, often ground and held in bulk for pellet and mash products.

The grain in the silos, the grain in the bagging chutes, the piles of bags in the storage area (for commercial products) are all exposed to rodents and birds. It doesn't take much of a hole for a sparrow or mouse to enter.

Last edited:
I would like to just clarify something guys.

My apologies if I insinuated that my time is more valuable than yours...or that I am more hurried than you all. I was trying to explain why I don't have time to sit here and read 29+ pages of comments on AI. I really just needed quick info...in and out. Tell me what I need to know, please, so I can protect my flocks without spending extra time reading over the minutiae of AI.

The very first response to my post was snarky. If you did not intend your comment to be snarky, than I apologize for my response. Tact is something that perhaps could be learned by both of us.
I was given the information I needed and I am thankful for that particular poster who took time to stop and provide that for me so I didn't have to spend extra time scanning through page after page. Do I know that the information is on "virtually every page"? Nope...I see 27 pages, scan the first...don't find what I'm looking for and figure I'll go ahead and network.

Because not for nothing but...we all know what happens when we enter Google and begin research. You begin looking for information on AI and next thing you know its 2AM and you've somehow followed rabbit trails that have led you to cat videos.

Or is that just me?

Anyways...I'm not a newbie to BYC. Been here for some time now. I'm not a brandie new chicken keeper, either. I've got over 40 birds in my flock right now and 10 eggs under two different broodies. But AI is new to me. I have a neighbor who doesn't care for his birds, which come visit us fairly frequently. We are also frequently visited by migrating birds of many kinds. So yeah, I'm a bit concerned on how to keep my flock healthy.

Regardless, I was given the info I need and no longer need to be on this particular thread. Thanks, again, to the person who took time to help instead of commenting about how I should look it up myself.

Last edited:
not guna lie... I didnt read this thread either. But iv been following the entire Ai situation very closely since it started in B.C. at the end of 2014 and could summarize it up pretty quickly and privide ALL the important links. plus I really dont mind helping out, thats just in my nature.

The USDA backyard flock website is back up and running! BTW the USDA is much faster at providing all the info than the CFIA is here in Canada... im still waiting for any information regarding wild birds here... so far no infected birds have been found.

http://healthybirds.aphis.usda.gov/

Al

Back
Top Bottom