HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

More worried about my flock than anything since this is super rarely ever passed to humans. My flock is my livelyhood and would be devestating financialy if I were to loose it. When dealing with larger flocks like mine on does ocasionaly die,, it's just the nature of the beast,,, but now it's almost panic mode when one turns up and then a week of worry afterward while watching if any of the others are showing symptoms.

Last edited:
The spread of the H5 viruses has been unprecedented, and our goal is to protect the health of small, backyard poultry flocks as much as our commercial industry from this disease.”
Dr Marsh explained that BOAH plans to open a public comment opportunity in June to receive input from poultry owners and others about strategies to reopen public shows and sales.
“We are looking for ways to restore our public bird events in a way that will reduce or eliminate opportunities for disease to spread and threaten backyard flocks statewide."

This from Indiana State vet. I hope all the State vets approach this the way Dr. Marsh is.

Well I would feel a bit better about attending shows or swaps if there wasn't waterfowl or other species present. Maybe separate events for each?

More worried about my flock than anything since this is super rarely ever passed to humans. My flock is my livelyhood and would be devestating financialy if I were to loose it. When dealing with larger flocks like mine on does ocasionaly die,, it's just the nature of the beast,,, but now it's almost panic mode when one turns up and then a week of worry afterward while watching if any of the others are showing symptoms.

I hear you, everyone freaks now when one gets sick, but from everything I've learned, you'll know a whole lot sooner than a week, if it's AI.

it goes like this... you might see on bird sick then your entire flock is dead by the morning and any survivors will be culled.

Even if they had separate events for each, people carry it around on their shoes and clothes. I'm just staying away from those things. Not that I have any choice....

Quote:
Thats exactly whats happening, infected birds die very quickly, withing 24 hours,( excluding waterfowl, waterfowl are carriers FOR LIFE) if one barn on a poultry farm tests positive and the other 9 barns are negative every bird on the property gets culled, thats just protocol. with the newest case confirmed in wild Canada Geese in Michigan, about an hour away from me im going over my birds saving the best of the best, putting them in lockdown with extreme bio security practices in place... and freezing the rest. stay safe and good luck to everyone.

but we can keep our chickens out of the yard... and our dogs out of our chickens... and heavy duty rodent control... i posted way back in this thread somewhere what i did during lock down. i had 200 birds under lockdown, now i have about 300 after all the chicks hatched... i want to cut that number way down, i dont just have chickens either.

man this sucks... i was really hoping this was coming to an end.

Al

My brain just imploded from a question... if waterfowl are carriers for life... what's the point!!!(?) Even if they do settle on a short term vaccine... we are still screwed with testing and government protocol, right? How can you breed for resistance, like Mother Nature does, if you kill all the survivors? Seems counterintuitive for the future of the poultry world. :(
Just my uneducated opinion...

Back
Top Bottom