HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

TherryChicken, you are correct in the statement that many infected birds show no symptoms, that is because most of them just drop dead or drop dead in mid-flight.

What Speckledhen was trying to caution you about are recent cases, within the last 2 weeks, of healthy flocks being destroyed because State Vets and the USDA did not want to test them or worse even though they tested negative, they wanted to be cautious. Feel free to google the following information...as I have been monitoring the situation closely because of a recent ban here in Kentucky because 2 wild waterfowl dropped from the sky on the Mississippi Flyway while migrating and happened to fall in Kentucky. No other cases have appeared in our State and no poultry have been affected to date.

3 cases in Georgia...Hatching eggs were ordered from a farm in Iowa that tested Negative...after shipping the eggs, that farm tested positive. The three folks in Georgia that ordered the eggs got a visit from the State vet and USDA...who took pics and videos and asked for paperwork. Without testing the existing flocks, they came and de-populated (fancy word for "killed") their existing flocks, destroyed the eggs and handed them a pathetic check to cover their costs.

17 cases in Iowa...flocks were destroyed with no testing or with negative results because they were within a certain radius of a farm who did test positive.

5 cases in Indiana .... flocks were destroyed because of suspicion of being exposed due to being within a certain radius of flocks that tested positive

7 cases in Arizona.... hatching eggs sent from a farm testing positive in Iowa, hatched chicks positive for the new strain becoming the first link to transmission through the egg/embryo. The existing flocks were destroyed, the infected chicks and unhatched eggs as well. The other 6 cases again were destroyed because of proximity without any testing results.

So what Speckledhen was trying to say is that the attitude of the State Vets and the USDA is kill first and test later. If you desire to take that chance by placing yourself on their radar with an AI test out of the blue....go for it. Should you elect to test now and draw undue attention to yourself with the usual results that have been occurring; please don't whine and complain should you get a nice phone call or letter telling you that you are in quarantine and officials will be arriving at an appointed time with a gas chamber to de-populate your flock, which the odds are in favor of. Try a private lab first.

As for the snarkiness directed at Speckledhen, she is a kind lady who was just offer suggestions and help and did not warrant the snarkiness. I on the other hand am not that kind and am much more direct. I do not appreciate my friend being slammed with snarky BS for no reason under the psuedo "Have a Blessed Day" crap. So feel free to bring the USDA to your door, piss off and Have Nice Day!

LadyHawk

Edited to add: PS you do realize there are many other illnesses that can cause sudden deaths that are NOT AI. There are many causes as well and it may behoove you to start at the beginning and start eliminating the possibilities with a clear head, logic and common sense.

Guys. Cool it all around, OK? I think everyone is right, here. I would want to know what's killing those birds. But, TherryChicken called. A couple of times. So enough calling. If it were me, I would anonymously take them there, say I lived somewhere else, and here, test these birds, if you want, because we've been finding a lot of dead ones. Drop them off and leave. If it's bird flu, you'll know soon enough, through the news media. Chickens die quickly from this virus. Ducks don't. And in defense of Speckled Hen, she's been around BYC for a long time and she knows a lot of good stuff. She wasn't trying to be offensive. I agree, I'm as scared of the USDA, if not more so, than I am of the flu. But lets keep this friendly OK? (as I keep saying). WE all need to stay informed, and this is a good way because there's a lot of good info not found in the news. And lastly, I'm terrified every time one of our birds gets sick lately. Til we figure it out. That's only natural.

Again, it can only work if they know where the outbreak is. People are already saying on here that they aren't going to be drawing attention to themselves which may mean they won't report birds that they observe dying in large numbers as one poster has suggested another should consider doing. With respect, the people of the U.S.A. have a different culture than the ones in the Netherlands do. Such a measure can only work if people aren't hiding their birds, hatching eggs, and chicks from the agency. From this thread alone, we know that they already are. The question is, is it cheaper to just test the birds and only cull positive flocks thereby appeasing flock owners or get the manpower to track down every hidden cache of birds/eggs in a country many times bigger than the Netherlands? 

This is the exact reason why I think education is so important to help alleviate the fear. None of these agencies want to be your enemy, and in most cases, they work WITH you. Of course, depopulation of a backyard flock is an emotional subject because no one wants to be subject to that. I know the feeling all too well. When I first started showing I had to have my birds pullorum tested and the tester explained that if they came up positive, all birds would be euthanized. This was terrifying, especially since I didn't know much about the disease. It wasn't until I learned more that I felt more relaxed about the possibility of depopulation.

I have never delt with them, but just like vets, I would imagine they are here to help us, not lie to us just to kill.

I have to respectfully disagree.

The USDA will kill a large amount of backyard flocks to save a commercial flock if it comes to that.

Another thread here on BYC showed the regard that they have for us "hobbyists."

I have to respectfully disagree. 

The USDA will kill a large amount of backyard flocks to save a commercial flock if it comes to that.

Another thread here on BYC showed the regard that they have for us "hobbyists."

Well like I said, I've honestly never delt with them before and that's just sad!!

This is the exact reason why I think education is so important to help alleviate the fear. None of these agencies want to be your enemy, and in most cases, they work WITH you. Of course, depopulation of a backyard flock is an emotional subject because no one wants to be subject to that. I know the feeling all too well. When I first started showing I had to have my birds pullorum tested and the tester explained that if they came up positive, all birds would be euthanized. This was terrifying, especially since I didn't know much about the disease. It wasn't until I learned more that I felt more relaxed about the possibility of depopulation.

I think most people would accept depopulation of a flock that tested positive even if it is heartbreaking. The issue is that no one wants to lose a flock because it is assumed infected rather than proven infected.

If I strongly suspected AI, i would feel like I had to call the USDA, even though I wouldn't want to. It would not be fair to others, not to. However, I know all too well how they can be. Years ago we had ILT in our flock, and USDA put us under quarantine, but back then they were friendly, kind, and helpful. ILT is not a mandatory cull here, but while we were under quarantine, they came up several times, and gave us lots of veterinary advice, gave us all of their necropsy reports, and everything they could do to be helpful. When we were released from quarantine the Vet from the Ag department was just as happy as we were.

In spring, 2014, I took a hen in for necropsy. The atmosphere was totally changed. They were borderline unfriendly, and the consulting vet told me "not to move any birds" and that it "might be pullorum". Well, I was terrified, too. And guess what she had? Parasites. Capillary worms. The consulting vet turned his nose up at me and made me feel like I was poo on his shoes. PLUS they would not give me a copy of the necropsy report that I paid for! They would only release it to our vet here...who, by the way, is not an avian vet. I was just furious at them and swore I would never go back there. For anything. They made it clear they have no use for backyard flocks.

I have never delt with them, but just like vets, I would imagine they are here to help us, not lie to us just to kill.

It's not about us, it's about the commercial industry and the money. That's it. Their interest in us only extends to how our hobby may affect the commercial industry. They care not a whit about preserving the "backyard flock".

Back
Top Bottom