HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Just chiming in here. There is a theory from an avian vet that the backyard flocks (even those still free ranging) are not as susceptible because they are exposed to more pathogens, have less stress and are better apt to fight off the disease. In addition, they believe the fans are circulating "virus borne" air. Anyone else buy into this theory?
I agree.

I have been following this thread from the beginning and noticed a lot of people mentioned they were keeping their birds confined till this blew over.
I reread an article today I thought I would share about pasturing birds and Avian Influenza.

http://www.apppa.org/fostering-health-the-pastured-poultry-approach-to-dealing-with-avian

True, the virus can mutate at any time. I never said it couldn't happen in a small backyard flock. I said the chances were slim. The higher the density of birds, the greater chance the virus has of replicating.

You want to explain why this country has gone for years and years with low path AI without having to deal with the high path variety? Low path has been in the bird population for many, many years is my understanding. Seems like it would have mutated long ago. It certainly had the time and opportunity to do so. There have been many backyard flocks out there for generations with exposure to wild birds and yet, no high path epidemic until this past year. And it seems to show up mostly in commercial flocks.
Agreed. In the article I reference above, it suggests that birds are constantly exposed to low path H5 and H7, found in virtually all waterfowl and short of exterminating all wild populations, AI will be around for a long time. Poultry that have been infected with the low path subtypes have shown to develop immunity to the high pathogenic forms of the same subtype.

It seems to me that she's done enough. Just watch your flock, and see what happens. No point in worrying about it. If your flock remains healthy, count your blessings.
X2

Please share:

Biosecurity For Birds Press Release Masthead-color.jpg
Free Webinar and Twitter Chat Offer Expert Tips for Healthy Backyard Poultry
The hour-long webinar will take place on Thursday, August 6 at 7 p.m. EDT, 6 p.m. CDT, 5 p.m. MDT and 4 p.m. PDT. To guarantee a place at the webinar, register now at healthybirdswebinar.com and then enter the password: Chickens. A Twitter chat will run alongside the webinar. Join the Twitter chat using ‪#‎Chickenchat‬ 2015 to get answers to your questions. To submit advance questions for either event, post them Healthy Harry’s Facebook page.

Thanks for posting.

I just read an interesting article in today's online version of World Poultry about reexamining biosecurity on commercial farms.
http://www.worldpoultry.net/Broilers/Health/2015/9/US-poultry-sector-tightens-biosecurity-2694189W/
Interesting was that 1/3 of all layers in the US were culled this year, which cost the US Govt. $1B.
As a result, we imported eggs for the first time in history, mostly from Mexico and Europe to the tune of 25 million dozen.
So that has raised egg prices at grocers but at the same time, chicken meat is cheaper because many nations have banned importation of US poultry meat so what is normally produced for export is being sold here.

Ohio's State wide import/ export/ transport ban is lifted also as of two days ago.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom