HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

Modeled? Doesn't that mean make up something on the computer and try to state it as fact? If it's models, I don't think that proves anything.

Would like to read the article though.

saw the article on the Poultry Site. (poultrysite.com) I don't think they know how it's spreading, from what I understand they are totally baffled. .

Last edited:
I agree with the wind. and for that matter when it rains. Droplets of water and of debris of strains carried by the wind can set anywhere. Especially in this part of the country.

You know, what's weird is now they're dealing with TWO types of avian flu, one hasn't ever been documented in this part of the country before. And they don't know where this stuff is coming from or why it's spreading, especially so rampantly from factory farm to factory farm. It really makes me wonder about the possibility of agro-terrorism being a factor.....

Our birds are now officially going to be on lockdown, at least while the weather stays cool, while we figure this out. As of today, after the new outbreak in Indiana.

They will NOT be happy, and so I won't be either.
sad.png

I've wondered about the same thing, chickmania. There is just something strange about all of this happening to BIG operations where thousands of birds are being affected. The industry is being affected and with that there will be a rise in market prices. Egg prices are already high. What will they be in another 6 months if the producing population in these huge businesses with 10,000 plus birds continue to be affected?

The Lewis county infection has me nervous for our little flock. It is only a county or two away from where we are. BUT it is on the Mississippi River which I find interesting in that the potential for wild ducks, geese, etc to fly over or be around has to be higher due to the river being a natural habitat for wild birds.

Our birds do not free range and thier run is partially under our barn with only 60% out in open air. I have it fully netted with bird netting to keep the number of wild bird intrusions to a minimum. If I could figure out how to cover it with a tarp or plastic and not have it blow away I would. THe netting does keep the majority of wild birds out but I have had a pair of field sparrows that insist on nesting in our barn figure out how to slip into the run to grab a morsel or two of crumbles. I had to to laugh the other day when I saw the little female sparrow flying as fast as she could to get out of the run with a Buff Orpington pullet hot on her tail. That hen wasn't happy with the invader at all. I haven't seen the sparrows in the run for two days now so maybe the chickens made it clear that they weren't accepting visitors.

We don't have any large poultry operations near us as far as we know but yes, we are taking precautions. My husband even said, no new brds are to be brought into the flock. No exceptions and I think he is right. Hopefully the hot weather will hurry up and make an appearance and this will all be over till Fall Migration begins.

That's our problem too, we have the sparrows slipping in. I don't think there's anywhere that can keep all critters out. WE will just have to hope and pray that the hot weather will kill this off, but even then, why hasnt' it yet? You guys have had the same hot weather that we have had. In our case it didn't last for long, but still.

We have two ponds on our property and we have been diligent about chasing off any waterfowl that have stopped by including a couple of cranes. We do have a couple of really big recreation centers/lakes in the vicinity that boast a large waterfowl population but there is nothing we can do about that. Most of the fowl around us are back yard flocks like ours and the local Amish flocks which are everything from Guineas (I love driving down the road, cresting a hill and finding a huge flock of Guineas in the middle of the road)
ep.gif
to turkeys. I wonder if they would have any concept of AI or the symptoms as the local wild life conservation officer told us that they have dealt with instances where the Amish have had turkeys die off and just throw them in the nearest ditch without burying them spreading whatever they died from to wild turkeys.

i came across this. Can't reveal much about who or where it's from, but here you go.

xxxxxxxxxxxx last week…we got to talking about the HPAIV and inspector told me that USDA will be doing randomized testing on backyard flocks – basically…they drive past your house and see you have chickens…they will knock on your door, pay you for what your flock is worth and take the birds…

At times I wonder how knowledgeable the inspector is…so I don’t know how much truth there is to this but figured I’d throw that tid-bit of info out to stir a pot…

So and here are MY questions. a) I thought they could test without killing the bird.b) What if you don't answer the door? c) Are they really going to spend time catching them, or do they throw the book at you if you don't catch them and hand the birds over to them? and d) Does the government really have that much time, money, and extra help on their hands that they can just randomly wander around the countryside???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom