HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

That makes sense about the U'SDA and about what I figured. How could they, as I said before, have time to knock on doors, when i read they already asking people to freeze their suspect birds, because they are swamped with testing. I read something on Indiana's thread that the State was letting owners know that they( the State) could come out and test their birds if the owners of backyard flocks wanted them to, regardless of whether they showed symptoms or not. They said they would come suited up. Now, who would want to subject their birds to the terror of some monster walking into their living quarters in a sani-suit? And also, I wouldn't want them on my property, or anywhere near it. Seriously? After they'd been on other farms????? GAAAAAAAh! Typical nonsense.

Thanks for the update SueIowa and yes, your place looks lovely and you have happy birds.

Last edited:
Wth. This is darn near impossible, isnt' it???? There HAS to be another factor here.....another carrier...besides wild birds. Hello.
sad.png
You think the Gov has woken up to tthat possibility??? I would hope so.

Passing this on from a wildlife rehabber I know...

More info from my colleagues;

There is not an ODA or USDA initiative to round up backyard flocks. Authorities are visiting farms within 10 km risk zones around confirmed cases, however we have not had a reported case in Ohio, so that is not occurring here either. If a case is reported in Ohio, the zones will be established and ODA/USDA will start testing all birds within that zone, including backyard flocks. If birds test positive within the zone, they will be euthanized. Waterfowl probably won't have clinical signs but gallinaceous birds die within a few days of being infected. With the new report of highly pathogenic H5N8 in Indiana, it probably soon will be in Ohio."

And after Ohio, Michigan...unless wind is the primary vector, then we may get it from Wisconsin.

Either way, I'd much rather this not be happening. Not only would it be a financial hardship, but also an emotional one to lose all my breeders, all my babies, even my goofy roosters. But mostly my turkeys.

I have had the same thoughts. We have a license to own chickens. The State has our name, number etc. When the inspector came out
last fall he said they would be hiring new inspectors because of the uptik of people have chickens in the yard.

b) If they want your birds bad enough they will get a search warrant and the police will enforce it.
It depends on how aggresive the USDA is and the trickle down effect to each state.
Offically, they can do a shake down and let the news media know all about their efforts to raise a scare in folks.
It is done all the time for different reasons.
Personally, the lower the key on this the better the industrial complex likes it. Altho, they could start throwing back yard people
under the bus and tell the public it is all our fault, take some of the heat off of them. Backyard people fiddling around with chickens
well just how dare they.!
You have good questions.
mg

I don't have a dog in this AI fight, at least not yet. And seeing that I live in a broiler producing area and that bio-security is tighter in the broiler industry than in the egg industry, I may not ever be effected. But you good people do be advised that the USDA will not need your local police to enforce a search warrant.
The USDA has its own private police force just like the Treasury, ATE&F, DHLS, State Department, Army Corp of Engineering, FDA, FAA, TVA, FWS, ICC, and a dozen or more other Federal Agencies. Why do you think that they have been stockpiling billions of rounds of hollow point ammo the last 6 years, it sure ain't intended to kill tin cans. By the way, it is a violation of international law to shoot a ISIS Terrorist with a hollow point bullet, they are only legal if used to shoot an American citizen!

These "Police" forces include but they are not limited to SWAT teams, light armored vehicles, Mine Resistant armored infantry carriers, automatic crew served weapons, and the usual compliment of so called "Black Helicopters." With today's technology a search warrant is only a phone call and a few zips and jerks of a FAX machine away. If you are genuinely concerned tis better to hide your chickens like my great-grand-pappy hid his still or how my grand dad kept his WWII black market actives out of the government's sight. "Out of sight out of mind," is the buzz words.

And after Ohio, Michigan...unless wind is the primary vector, then we may get it from Wisconsin.

Either way, I'd much rather this not be happening. Not only would it be a financial hardship, but also an emotional one to lose all my breeders, all my babies, even my goofy roosters. But mostly my turkeys.
Absolutely.
sad.png
But all this worry and fear is bad for everyone. Best thing to do is just take it a day at a time. Hope and pray for the best, and in the meantime, enjoy them.

Back
Top Bottom