HEADS UP AVIAN INFLUENZA ALERT

FYI
http://patch.com/georgia/buford/chickens-slaughtered-ga-thwart-bird-flus-spread-0

They don't even care if they're tested it seems to me. And even flocks that test negative are being killed "preemptively". That is sincerely stupid, IMO. They test negative and they gas them anyway. The ones in question here are folks who got hatching eggs from a certain farm in Iowa.

If you haven't purchased birds or eggs from anyone at all and you just happen to be in a "perimeter" around a commercial farm, it's highly possible they would attempt to depopulate/kill your flocks from what I've read. Nobody's putting my healthy 6,7,8 and 9 year old birds in a gas chamber. I don't trust the GA state vets as far as I can throw their staff so would even be leery of test results. I never buy or take birds or even chicks from anyone and haven't bought hatching eggs in over 4 years and certainly never from anywhere affected in this round of panic. I would say I'm in a minority that way.

FYI
http://patch.com/georgia/buford/chickens-slaughtered-ga-thwart-bird-flus-spread-0

They don't even care if they're tested it seems to me. And even flocks that test negative are being killed "preemptively". That is sincerely stupid, IMO. They test negative and they gas them anyway. The ones in question here are folks who got hatching eggs from a certain farm in Iowa.

If you haven't purchased birds or eggs from anyone at all and you just happen to be in a "perimeter" around a commercial farm, it's highly possible they would attempt to depopulate/kill your flocks from what I've read. Nobody's putting my healthy 6,7,8 and 9 year old birds in a gas chamber. I don't trust the GA state vets as far as I can throw their staff so would even be leery of test results. I never buy or take birds or even chicks from anyone and haven't bought hatching eggs in over 4 years and certainly never from anywhere affected in this round of panic. I would say I'm in a minority that way.

That is outrageous and terrifying. That is what I'm afraid they will try to do here and we are right in the bulls eye as there's a commercial farm not far away. We need birds but no way am I buying anything from anyone right now. If i were those people whose birds were slaughtered, I'd be talking to a lawyer. Theres another thread on here (also copied to this thread earlier) about someone that happened to. She DID contact a lawyer and was successful in stopping the slaughter, they just placed her under quarantine. I'll try to look for it when I have more time. I'm afraid there'd be hell to pay if that happens here, in more ways than one. I'd be out there with a shotgun if they showed up trying to do that, I don't care who they are.

That is outrageous and terrifying. That is what I'm afraid they will try to do here and we are right in the bulls eye as there's a commercial farm not far away. We need birds but no way am I buying anything from anyone right now. If i were those people whose birds were slaughtered, I'd be talking to a lawyer. Theres another thread on here (also copied to this thread earlier) about someone that happened to. She DID contact a lawyer and was successful in stopping the slaughter, they just placed her under quarantine. I'll try to look for it when I have more time. I'm afraid there'd be hell to pay if that happens here, in more ways than one. I'd be out there with a shotgun if they showed up trying to do that, I don't care who they are.

This is one reason I have never paid for anything at a feed store with a check or credit card and my phone number is unpublished. Good for that woman, however, as we all know, you only have rights as far as you can pay for them. If you have money, you can fight for yourself. My birds have never had anything contagious and I don't go to shows or swaps, don't buy or take in birds from even folks I trust, etc. There would be no reason for my birds to be put down. I'd never trust the testing if they even did it. It's odd that this virus cannot live in hot weather and yet, they're still saying it's spreading. Makes no sense. It's hot as Hades all over the U.S., including here. I'm worried right now about my birds with temps much higher than normal for June, or even for any time of summer at my elevation.

One serious downside to depopulating backyard flocks and local breeder flocks is that is where all the heritage breeds exist. Commercial flocks are not important in that regard, only as an industry and food source. Mine are not in the food supply of anyone other than myself and my husband. Would be a terrible shame and waste to kill off our heritage stock in favor of commercial operations making a buck.

the reason why its still spreading even though it's hot out is because of the migrating ducks and geese, they are carriers for life and dont show symptoms. I wonder how the wild birds got it though... but it does take time for the suns uv rays and the warmth to work.

Thought this was interesting...just goes to show....just saying.
hmm.png

Avian flu finding on Nebraska farm goes unconfirmed; quarantine lifted

Three weeks of follow-up testing on a big Nebraska egg farm never confirmed preliminary tests that showed avian influenza there, prompting an end to the quarantine of the farm, the Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) announced yesterday.
The move apparently marks the first time a preliminary positive finding has gone unconfirmed in this year's rash of costly H5N2 avian flu outbreaks across the Midwest. The farm, which has 3 million chickens, is in northeastern Nebraska's Knox County.
"While the chance of a presumptive positive test ending up being negative is very uncommon, we have followed [US Department of Agriculture] protocol and the disease has not been found," NDA Director Greg Ibach said in a statement. "The release of the quarantine at this farm will allow the producer to resume business as usual. Testing and monitoring of this flock will continue as an additional precautionary measure."
Today's announcement also means that 27 other Knox County sites that were quarantined because they lie within 6.2 miles of the egg farm can also get back to business, the NDA said.
The quarantine was imposed May 27 after the positive preliminary test. In follow-up efforts, the flock has been tested every day for the past 3 weeks, and all the results were negative, Ibach said.
Nebraska has had five other H5N2 outbreaks, all in Dixon County, two counties east of Knox. An additional Dixon County farm is being depopulated because of its nearness to the infected farms.
Jun 17 NDA statement

Question, is this bird flu able to be caught by humans? Can we get it through eggs? My understanding is no.

Back
Top Bottom