Healed ee roo from mycoplasma ,is it ok to use him for breeding ?

Aris

Songster
11 Years
Jul 5, 2012
Greece ,Chania
I keep the adults and the pullets/cockerels in two separate coops , the last months I had a disease spread amongst the young ones lost some and other healed after I showed this picture to the vet he told me it's mycoplasma and to give them messipen 10% .

This is one of the roos that healed , at some point he even had fluid coming out of his eye but now he is healed and very energetic .
And this is a recent photo

The facts are that I have flock of 13 hens which never had symptom of any disease, I culled last year their roo since I loved the fire red and blue color of this roo BUT I am not willing to endanger another outbreak in a healthy layer flock .
Another fact is that blue color in chickens as well blue egg genes is something difficult to find around here and this is the only blue chicken I have .
Also he is still separated from the healthy flock ,he seems fine the last month .

Here are my questions to you all
1. From the first photo do you agree with the vet that the disease that hit my youngsters flock is mycoplasma ?

2. If my roo is healed (from mycoplasma or whatever he had) is he still a carrier which makes him a possible danger for a healthy flock ?

3. If I hatch chicks out of him will they be affected somehow ?

Thanks in advance for any help .

p.s.
Please don't start arguments that ee shouldn't have yellow legs , only my black easter eggers have dark legs all the other have yellow and every single pea combed bird lays green/blue eggs , this roo carries one blue egg gene from his mother his father was a single combed bird and that's why he has such heavily modified pea comb .

I do agree, it looks like Mycoplasma and if it was seen in multiple birds and diagnosed by a vet as such, you can be quite certain it was Myco. Speaking from experience (2 years living with a MS/MG positive flock), don't take the risk. It's not worth it. He's got a very, very good chance of being a carrier, and if you do not want to continue dealing with disease or have any interest whatsoever in selling chicks, cull him now. He will infect the hens he's housed with and Mycoplasma is a vertically transmittable disease, meaning that eggs from infected hens have a chance of being infected - based on studies, around 10% of the eggs laid by infected hens have the Mycoplasma bacterium already inside them.

Thanks I just needed to hear it from someone with experience with the disease , the health of my current flock their offsprings as well the the health of the other people flocks I might give eggs or chicks are more important than one pretty rooster .
To the freezer camp it is then .

Back
Top Bottom