Healthy chicken feet?

LalaP

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
IMG_9023.jpeg
Hi all! A friend of mine found a chicken in the middle of nowhere standing in the road… she almost “got to the other side” when a car narrowly missed her. Yikes! I’m going to add this lucky lady to my flock. I’m quarantining her and I’ve checked over for mites and lice. So far so good but her feet have me wondering about scaly leg mites as
IMG_9022.jpeg
her scales are lifted and irregular looking. And maybe bumble foot. The bottom of her feet are fine. It’s just a bump between the toes that I’m wondering about. It’s just one bump on each foot. Any thoughts on these photos? Thanks! Sorry these photos inserted in a weird way.. not sure how to fix that
IMG_9023.jpeg
IMG_9018.jpeg
IMG_9021.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    560.8 KB · Views: 0
Hmm... they do look a little odd. I've never dealt with scaly leg mites before, but I did put vaseline on one's legs when I suspected it. It's supposed to suffocate the mites. I did this after soaking her feet for a bit.

It looks like scaly leg mites, and bumblefoot can cause those bumps between the toes. Can you post a picture of the bottoms of the feet? For scaly leg mites Nustock Cream is good. It has sulfur and pine oil and will kill the leg mites while helping to heal the scales. Or just use Vaseline twice a week for several weeks to smother the scaly leg mites. Eventually the healthy scales will grow back.

It looks like scaly leg mites, and bumblefoot can cause those bumps between the toes. Can you post a picture of the bottoms of the feet? For scaly leg mites Nustock Cream is good. It has sulfur and pine oil and will kill the leg mites while helping to heal the scales. Or just use Vaseline twice a week for several weeks to smother the scaly leg mites. Eventually the healthy scales will grow back.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll treat her for leg mites. I’d rather not take a photo of her feet for now. I already did a close inspection and she’s been under so much stress. She’s finally calming down. The bottom of her feet look totally normal. There aren’t any scabs like I’ve seen with bumble foot in the past. I know how to treat it when there are the scabs and hard plug but I’m not sure about these bumps. Do I just treat with epsom salt foot soaks? Will it resolve on its own since there is no scab? Do I need to dig out the infection? Thanks you!

I have had to open the bumblefoot scab on the bottom as well as the bump between the toes in the past. If she is not limping, I would watch it.

Back
Top Bottom