Heart attacks need advice

shelby69

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
I had 20 now 19 Cornish Rocks from TSC. They will be 8 weeks this coming weekend which is when I intend to process. They have been eating Dumore Starter/grower from TSC since day 1 but since TSC is not very good about stocking their feed (which is another subject in itself) I had to switch them to Purina Flock Raiser on Monday. Tuesday night while moving the tractor I noticed one of the birds was very lethargic just seemed exhausted. I could pick him with out any fuss. A hour later he was gasping for air & his heart was raising couldn't stand etc. Figured he was ill and did want to risk the rest of the flock so I culled him (snapped his neck). About a 1/4 cup of slimy clearish liquid drained out of his beak. So I am thinking heart failure. Last night I noticed another one seemed a bit lethargic but no where near as bad. However his comb was a lot darker than the rest almost purple. I did notice on the first one but could have been. Neither of these birds are/were the largest probably closer to smallest.

So the questions at the end of this long story are.

1. Could this be caused from a change in feed the day before. Both are non medicated 20% protein but not sure much past that.

2. Is there anything I can do to prevent death after they become lethagic and purple.

3. should I switch to a finisher feed which has less protein. I can't process until saturday.

Try adding a little crumbled aspirin and a capful of vinegar both to their water. I don't remember what the vinegar is supposed to do, but aspirin is a blood thinner that will help with blood clots.

It must be aspirin. Ibuprofin will not work since that isn't a blood thinner.

One aspirin per five gallons of water, I think. The downside is that if they get cut up they'll bleed more, but otherwise it should save some lives.

Ascites - congestive heart failure. I think it might be called water belly in America?

Can be caused by rapid growth, brooding temperatures being too cold while young and too much sodium in the water supply. (like people: fat food + no exercise to burn it off (what warm temperature does) + excess salt = heart attack). Is thought to be a genetic factor.

Good ventilation is also important to limit faecal dust getting into the lungs.

So to answer your questions:

1. No.

2. Don't feed for 48 hours, keep warm at stable temperature in dimly lit area with no draughts, give Desalinated water which has no salts or minerals.

3. Yes, but not for 48 hours and limit the amount ; don't allow them to feed ad-lib (all you can eat).

A word of caution. Some people say that birds with this problem that recover can't be eaten. Not sure why, but maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.

Good luck

Last edited:
The sudden death is an issue with meat birds. They grow much too fast for their organs to keep up with the processes needed to feed the organs and tissues. With warm weather as well as the growth rate they become stressed and die quickly. Do not hesitate and get your processing done before you lose any more of your investment. Just to be sure - I would advise you NOT to eat any chicken that died before you were able to dispatch them.

Restrict their feed at night. Give them plenty of cool water. Keep them on clean bedding.

24 hours before processing do not give them feed. Only water so they begin to clean out.

Forgot to say I am doing 12 on 12off feeding schedule. We do have a high mineral content in our water (well), never thought of that.

They are outside in a tractor with shade but the temps in Michigan have gone up the last 2 days.

No don't plan on eating any that even seem sick.

This is my first time at this and it all went realy well until now. Somewhat disapointing.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Last edited:
This is the reason cornish cross often get a bad rep. They are definitely not the perfect bird for a first timer but with management and willingness to work with the birds and avoid issues when possible they are an excellent choice. I prefer the cornish cross over most other meat birds.

Quote:
Don't feel to bad, I lost 9 of my 26 birds from heart attacks and the birds smothering each other. This was my first time and I learned a few things from my mistakes so hopefully there will be less early deaths with my next batch.

Quote:
I can't imagine it was a feed issue- unless you fed them poison, it wouldn't kill them that fast. It's like people- it's not that LAST cheeseburger you at that caused your heart attack, rather the 1000 that you ate for the past 10 years.

Eight weeks is the age that you'll lose them, as it's getting close to the end of their life expectancy. I'd say to just start butchering ASAP, and until you can, hope no more die. Unfortunately, at 8 weeks, there's not much you can change that will make much of a difference. Keep them cool- that will help. Reduce their feed as well. Also, the drooly looking stuff from their mouths is normal.

Just an update. I ended up losing 2 out of 20 before I was able to process Sunday morning. During the processing I had one more that was sick. As soon as I opened the body cavity the liver slid out and it was at least 4 x's its normal size. The entire cavity was full of a greenish fluid. So I stoped there an disposed of the bird. The rest all seemed normal. They weight between 4.5 & 5.5 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom