Heart breaking day on the farm...

Most of the time the birds would raise such a commotion that we were able to dash outside and chase the dogs off. The constant threats did prompt me to buy a new “varmint” gun though.
Labs are bread to retrieve, and as such don’t usually bite down on the “game”, only holding it tight enough to bring home. One of our favorites, Blondie, did get carried off and suffered shock with some minor injuries. She never really totally recovered well enough to rejoin her flock and spent the rest of her life living in the house with us. We made her as comfortable as we could. She had a bedroom and a day room. When she would walk from one to the other the cats would line up and watch her like it was a whole parade.
Memories can bring tears, joy, and sometimes both together.
Love your Blonde story, terrible that she was so traumatised but it sounds like she had a wonderful time in your home 😄

How things have changed. When I was a teenager we had a dog come in and wipe my mom's goose and duck population. Dog warden came assessed the situation and handed me some twelve gauge shells. Not today. Dog today gets caught with chicken in its mouth and we argue about.

My elegant beautiful sweet bantams and little ducks were slaughtered about three hours ago by and neighbors wild ,dirty , cruel dog....it’s really hurt me deeply and I want this seamlessly senseless act of cruelty to be answered for guess I’m just wanting some comfort and if possible a little info on deal with this mutt and if I can end it’s life legally ,any kind words and info would be greatly appreciated ,thanks to all the BYC members.
I am so sorry. We have 2 pit bulls that a new neighbor is letting out to run loose in the neighborhood . I have chickens that stay inside a fence. I am just waiting for these dogs to get in my yard. They will be no more ! "Make my Day "

I have ne relationship with them I just try to mind my business they don’t keep there hard cut or house clean and the herd of ferial dogs the call pets have been running creek for months killing my grandmas cats I tried no lethal ways of keep them away and it word for months and I got up to feed and they were dead all over the yard and the dog was still trapped trying to kill my game rooster in the pen and tried to bite me ,they do not care about these start muttts that roam the yard and .... just filled with anger and hurt just trying to not start a fight and get law enforcement envolved I contacted themand animal control after it happend I just don’t think they will solve the problem idk I don’t mean to sound like a cry baby but it’s got me really ****ed up I knew some support from the members might help thanks for yalls reply means a lot in the time.
I had similar issues years ago. I tried talking with the neighbor, but he to was a POS. Numerous calls to animal control didn't really resolve the issue, and tensions flared. My own dogs kept in a run " disappeared". Its difficult to deal with neighbors like that. I ended up fencing my entire property and getting the strongest electric fence I could find, a pellet gun and two rottweilers. I wasn't quiet prepared for the expense at the time, however, it was the best thing I ever did. Once i started shooting them with pellets and electrified my property, the dogs quit comming to my property. I do have occasional coons/possum/skunk/fox, these days I trap them, and relocate them, however, I have had a few issues w/neighbor dogs. I talk to them. If I have more issues, I trap the dog and hail it to animal control. Once owners have to start paying impound fees, they usually figure out a way to take responsibility for thier dogs. You can also consider taking them to small claims court and sue them.

Sorry for your loss!

In New York State they would be responsible for reimbursing you for your loss NOT that that will ease the pain of loosing a treasured "pets" or livestock but it will hit them in their wallet which might wake them up to the problem.It might be worth looking into.

My elegant beautiful sweet bantams and little ducks were slaughtered about three hours ago by and neighbors wild ,dirty , cruel dog....it’s really hurt me deeply and I want this seamlessly senseless act of cruelty to be answered for guess I’m just wanting some comfort and if possible a little info on deal with this mutt and if I can end it’s life legally ,any kind words and info would be greatly appreciated ,thanks to all the BYC members.
Better to ask forgiveness than permission. That’s what shotguns are for.

I had the reverse problem last fall. I had 3 turkeys I was raising in a 10'x10' pen, 7' tall walls, and the turkeys NEVER left the pen, even though they could fly to the top and perch on the walls, if they wanted to, but never did. A neighbor's dog (pit bull mix) from several streets away was actually observed by my next-door neighbor going to the door of the pen and pulling it open, and squeezing into the pen, grabbed one of my turkeys, pulled her outside, and them tore her apart, where she could be seen doing so by my neighbor and the patrons of the local bar that can see into my backyard (open yards, as we are in a small township where few build fences) saw the dog doing it. So, what does one of the bar employees do? They called the sheriff and reported that MY turkey was attacking the dog!!!! Sheriff deputy showed up on my doorstep to find out what happened, and I said I don't have a clue, because I didn't observe anything, and found that one of the turkeys was missing and the other 2 were traumatized. The next day, the dog showed up again, and was ready to do it again, but this time, she was restrained because the next-door neighbor and I were outside, talking about the events from the day before, and he was the one that pointed out that it was this same dog that did it the day before. We got pictures of the dog in the alley, barking at us because the dog wanted us gone so she could go in and attack the turkeys again. I turned the photo over to the deputy as proof. Shortly after that, the dog was gone... haven't seen her again. I'm afraid of putting any birds in that pen again, so am about to replace it entirely with a much more secure structure. Waiting for it to be delivered tomorrow.

Because I live in a township, I cannot use a gun to kill any stray dogs that come upon my property to kill my 'livestock'. But the laws of my state say that I can, and not be legally liable. Documenting what happened to the sheriff establishes precedence to protect me against future claims by anyone saying I killed their dogs.

My elegant beautiful sweet bantams and little ducks were slaughtered about three hours ago by and neighbors wild ,dirty , cruel dog....it’s really hurt me deeply and I want this seamlessly senseless act of cruelty to bees answered for guess I’m just wanting some comfort and if possible a little info on deal with this mutt and if I can end it’s life legally ,any kind words and info would be greatly appreciated ,thanks to all the BYC members.
That's awful are your neighbors aware of what their dog did? Some times you need to take matters into your own hand and do what you have to do to protect what's yours. Maybe a special meatball made for the doggie.

Back
Top Bottom