Heat hardy breed chickens.!

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
Can anyone tell me some good heat hardy egg laying chicken breeds.? It can get to 110 out here in SoCal so I want to get a chicken that can take the heat good. I have a barred rock and EE who are okay with the heat, my EE suffers more with her wings far apart and she pants. But I throw bottles of frozen water in the cage and coop and they have a wading pool.

I would highly recommend Naked Necks. Extremely heat tolerant - not only do they lack feathers on the neck, but they have about 50% fewer feathers over the entire body - and my old Nakeys used to lay the biggest brown eggs I've ever seen - jumbo, really. Great temperaments too; they make excellent pets, and some studies are even showing they eat less feed and are more disease resistant than other breeds! Plus it's always fun when someone walks into your yard and says... "Is that a turkey!?"

Last edited:
But will they be okay in the cold too.?
1f614.png
sometime at night it can get in the 30/40

I have never even heard of a naked neck chicken lol.!
1f602.png

Do you think wyandottes will be okay.? Do you have any experience with other chicken breeds that do good in heat.?

My Wyandottes do OK. About the same as most medium feather breeds like a Plymouth Rock or similar. My Leghorns and skinny-bodied banties like OEGs always do well, as do pretty much all of my Oriental Gamefowl.

I've had Black Australorps that did well in our heat and humidity (as well in the winter when we get an occasional freeze). They're good layers of big brown eggs too.

Back
Top Bottom