heat lamp question

Melinda48

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2013
Columbia, MO
OK so we installed our heat lamp, connecting it through a temperature sensitive outlet that makes it turn on when the temperature dips below 35 degrees F. It worked let night!! However, it woke up the girls (we think - this morning we found a starling in the coop). We wonder if the heat lamp (the same one we used 24/7 when they were chicks) woke them or the starling. We like the idea of using the heat lamp but not if we have to get up in the middle of the night to turn it off because the girls are clucking away. ! : )

On another note, we went to Westlake Hardware here in Columbia, MO and bought a remote light switch. Now when we get up in the morning, we just hit the switch and the light in the coop comes on (different light). How cool is that!!!

Now we just have to come up with an automatic door opener and life will be very very good indeed.

I like the remote light switch idea.

On the other hand they don't need a heat lamp. I'm in Missouri too. I've never put heat on hens in 60 years.
Several reasons:
They need a dark period.
They need to acclimate to the cold.
A cozy bird at night and walking out into a zero degree wind in the morning is stressed and prone to illness.
A bird kept warm really suffers in case of a power outage - which around here is in the worst weather.
Most breeds we know were developed hundreds of years ago in cold climates with no means to heat them. Even their ancestors the jungle fowl can handle a wide range of climates.
The cost of running a heat lamp for grown birds wearing a down coat negates any financial benefit to having chickens.

Three nights ago I put two 2 day old chicks out with a broody pullet. They're doing fine in an open-sided coop.

Last edited:
Many thanks. I think that I not only have had my question answered but learned something too! Appreciate you taking the time to write.
M

i talked to a guy at work one day, we talked about chickens which I never knew he was involved when he was younger. he said his parents used to use a standard light bulb in the ceiling and wrap it with aluminum foil to keep the light contained.

I might try it this year being this is my first winter with chickens.

Quote: That will keep the light in, but will also trap some of the radiant heat
Enlcosing the bulb in a solid container allows the radiant heat to warm the container, which will continue to radiate heat even after the bulb cycles off

Adding the mass makes it more efficient as a heater rather than just a light source

Back
Top Bottom