Heat lamp thoughts!

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I enjoyed reading your answer....you should be an author....I can just see those chicks fighting the woodpeckers off right now. Thanks again.

We have been having a cold winter in Chattaroy, WA also. I use a heat lamp (red bulb) the last 4 years it's on a timer comes on around 10pm-4am. Have it hanging up high in coop never have had any problem just takes chill off in coop! We have an automatic door opener and I had light come on before door opened but, girls would not come in staying out in the dark. Complaining to my husband about them not going in he said, they probably think they are walking into an oven with red light glowing. Changed timer to after they got in problem solved. I have heard about starting fires also but, if it's a pretty new lamp and hung high its a low volt bulb. You keep them on all day/night when you have baby chicks to keep temp 100 and never have a problem.

I have been using that same lamp when our temps drop but our temperatures are no way near as cold as what you guys get. Chickens are a lot of fun and enjoyment. I love walking out in the morning and all are waiting for me, of course, they know I usually bringing greens or something good.

We have been having a cold winter in Chattaroy, WA also. I use a heat lamp (red bulb) the last 4 years it's on a timer comes on around 10pm-4am. Have it hanging up high in coop never have had any problem just takes chill off in coop! We have an automatic door opener and I had light come on before door opened but, girls would not come in staying out in the dark. Complaining to my husband about them not going in he said, they probably think they are walking into an oven with red light glowing. Changed timer to after they got in problem solved. I have heard about starting fires also but, if it's a pretty new lamp and hung high its a low volt bulb. You keep them on all day/night when you have baby chicks to keep temp 100 and never have a problem.
Some heat lamp bulbs can just pop and explode, happens very seldom, but it does happen, it doesn't matter how old the bulb, as well a a flying flapping chicken flying into it is the other main danger.

I think effort needs to be vested in learning how heat lamps are to be used around livestock. Distance, protective covers and excluding flammables all need to be considered. If you do not know how to use such equipment properly, then yes it is dangerous.

Thank you for you comment! My chickens have been happy happy happy since I got the straw. They are now brave enough to walk across the yard in the snow and find my covered patio. They then went in the cat door, through the garage and when my husband came into the kitchen, they were in there! Haha this cold has not effected them at all. They have great shelter which is dry and food and water. They are so funny.

One of my three, the Leghorn, decided, just as the Pacific Northwest cold was setting in, to start her molt. She was NAKED and did some really funny, distressing things, like being sort of disoriented and would walk backwards and run into things. That, of course, quit when the feathers started coming back in. I worried that she'd be too cold until the feathers were fully in, and even though I'd read all the reasons why NOT to have a lamp, my husband put one hanging from the covered roof out in the chicken yard that directs the warmth toward the entrance/exit door of the coop. It is high enough it doesn't come in contact with straw, chickens or anything else, just right for the light shining down on the entrance. I noticed that at night the two Amerucanas would sit on either side of her on the roost, I am assuming it was to keep her warm, but though the light wasn't shining into the coop, I did notice that on the cold mornings the three would sit in the doorway, in the light from the lamp, for a while before venturing out into the backyard.

Everyone says I pamper and spoil my three "girls", but they're not "just chickens", they're my pets with special privileges!
One of my girls molted too! It was like 9 degrees and that is when she thought it was a good time. I was so worried about her being cold but every time I went to check on her she was warm warm warm!!! Straw has helped a ton this winter!

As long as you have the lamp safely installed and taken precautions about flammable items like bedding, you should be okay. We live in a rural mountain area, with nights as cold as below zero, and have a heat lamp in all our coops, near the ceilings. The chickens can wander about in large, roofed yards, but their coops are warm and inviting. Since the temps don't get up to freezing some days, we leave the heat on. The chickens lay all winter and we have several kinds. They don't seem to have problems with the temperature differences from yard to coop. We've used the lights for years.

We make sure the straw is fresh every week as they do a lot of pooping and it's easier to change it all once a week and then shovel out what we can daily. The light is only shining on the entrance door to the coop so they can sit in the warm glow as needed. I think since the coop is only big enough for the three of them, their combined warmth keeps them cozy when the temp is minus and especially at night. Ours haven't been laying this winter, and with them having molted during fall, and the one in the freezing weather, I am happy to let them rest until they feel up to restarting. I do miss the eggs, but know the three ladies will do their best this spring. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it!
D.gif

I have two heat la,ps in my hen house. They wil get plent y cold when they go outside. The la,psmare just s easy for me to get a little comfortable. It is true though, buff orphingtons area much larger breed and can tolerate cold. I'm guilty of spoiling my bantams and my big chicks. I have a fan for them in the Summer. One of my barred bantams had a heat stroke so we had to do something and they love it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom