Heat lamp vs Brooder?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
In a few days, we are anticipating the arrival of black australorp chicks from Cackle Hatchery through a mail order. Although we are familiar with buying chicks from Tractor Supply (TS), which sources their chicks from Cackle, we've never made a mail order purchase before. Typically, we would pick up the chicks from TS soon after they arrive via mail and immediately place them in a brooder equipped with a large heat plate rather than a heat lamp.

However, Cackle Hatchery has informed us that for mail order baby chicks, they require the use of a heat lamp for the first two weeks and do not recommend using heat plates. We are uncertain about the difference between our usual practice (picking them up from TS upon arrival) and receiving them directly from the post office ourselves. Our main concern is to ensure we do everything correctly as we have never lost a chick before, and we want to maintain that track record. Could this change in heating method really make a significant difference in the chicks' well-being?

I got my chicks shipped from a hatchery last September (they also said to use a heat lamp, but I didn't). I used a brooder plate for 8 chicks and they did great. As soon as I got home from the post office, I showed them the water (beak dips for each chick) and then put them right under the brooder plate. They knew where the water was and where the heat was and they did just fine.

How many chicks are you getting? That may have something to do with whether you use a lamp or not. If you're getting a large batch, and they all try to squeeze under a brooder that's too small, there's risk of smothering and/or getting too cold.

I would keep doing what you’ve done tbh. I’ve always used a heat plate from day one with both mailed and home hatched chicks. I’ve even used it for quail. All were perfectly fine and happy.

Could this change in heating method really make a significant difference in the chicks' well-being?

In some cases, yes it can make the difference between live chicks and dead chicks. In other cases, chicks seem to do fine with either heat source. It appears to make the biggest difference with chicks who had a hard time in shipping (cold weather or extra days.)

If the chicks arrive chilled, they can warm up faster under a heat lamp than under a brooder plate.

There is also a difference with eating and drinking. With a heat lamp, the chicks can get warm while they start to eat and drink. With a brooder plate, the chicks have to come out into the cooler area to get food or water. For some chicks, when they first arrive, that difference can be very important.

Many people have used heat plates with shipped chicks, and had good results. I see that several of them have already responded to this thread. Some people have used heat plates with shipped chicks, and had problems that went away when they switched to a heat lamp. I think @JacinLarkwell is one who had trouble with brooder plates and had to switch.

I got my chicks shipped from a hatchery last September (they also said to use a heat lamp, but I didn't). I used a brooder plate for 8 chicks and they did great. As soon as I got home from the post office, I showed them the water (beak dips for each chick) and then put them right under the brooder plate. They knew where the water was and where the heat was and they did just fine.

How many chicks are you getting? That may have something to do with whether you use a lamp or not. If you're getting a large batch, and they all try to squeeze under a brooder that's too small, there's risk of smothering and/or getting too cold.
This is something they make you agree to no matter how large the order. The brooder is geared for 20 chicks and we are getting 16.
In some cases, yes it can make the difference between live chicks and dead chicks. In other cases, chicks seem to do fine with either heat source. It appears to make the biggest difference with chicks who had a hard time in shipping (cold weather or extra days.)

If the chicks arrive chilled, they can warm up faster under a heat lamp than under a brooder plate.

There is also a difference with eating and drinking. With a heat lamp, the chicks can get warm while they start to eat and drink. With a brooder plate, the chicks have to come out into the cooler area to get food or water. For some chicks, when they first arrive, that difference can be very important.

Many people have used heat plates with shipped chicks, and had good results. I see that several of them have already responded to this thread. Some people have used heat plates with shipped chicks, and had problems that went away when they switched to a heat lamp. I think @JacinLarkwell is one who had trouble with brooder plates and had to switch.
Actually this heat plate is the lid for the brooder. So they don't have to come out to eat. But I definitely can see the bulbs getting warmer. I really hope they don't have a hard time in shipping. We did order them some gel and supplements.

Actually this heat plate is the lid for the brooder. So they don't have to come out to eat.
So they don't have anywhere to go to get away from the heat? Do you have pics of your setup? I'm having trouble envisioning what you're saying here (especially for 16 chicks).

Also, much like prefab coops, brooder plate manufacturers tend to overstate the number of chicks that it can be used for. Mine said 15 chicks and there's no way more than the 8 I had could have fit as they grew.

Actually this heat plate is the lid for the brooder. So they don't have to come out to eat. But I definitely can see the bulbs getting warmer. I really hope they don't have a hard time in shipping. We did order them some gel and supplements.

Do you have a photo? I do not think I have heard of something like that before.

With either a brooder plate or a heat lamp, it is important that the chicks have a warm place and a cool place. Healthy chicks will move back and forth between temperatures to keep themselves comfortable.

This is the brooder I have used with good luck. I have never found the chicks all huddled together. They are always happily exploring.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...4-1557530?cid=Shopping-Google-Product-1557530

It says it holds 20. We have had as many as 15 and still had plenty of room for the first few weeks. They outgrow it at about 2-3 weeks. They can get away at the sides if they need to but I have never seen them do that either.

After that, we put them into a very large small animal playpen. It's a zippered portable pen with netting on the top. We remove the heat plate from the brooder and put it in this. We put shavings in it, as well as their nipple water and food. We keep them here until they are old enough to start visiting the big coop in their mini run for a little while every day - introducing them to the other chickens - until they are old enough to enjoy the coop and big run.

There's a difference betweentransfer.

Brooder lamps heat the ambient air in there container. So anywhere they walk they will be at the right temperature.

Plates are stationary and don't warm the surrounding area, they need to be in close contact for heat tranfser.

Back
Top Bottom