Heat Lamp vs. EcoGlow 20

ORChickFam

Chirping
Feb 16, 2015
Oregon Coast
Our babies are due to arrive in 20 days give or take!

As I'm prepping for our brooder setup, I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible on the brooder, since we are in the "city" of our little town and don't plan to breed or keep adding unless something is to happen down the road. Anyways with 5 children, 1 childlike husband, 2 dogs, 2 rabbits and 2 cats running around the house; I'm terrified of using a heat lamp and someone either knocking it over or one of the kids sneaking off & touching it. For right now, the plan is to keep the brooder in our laundry room which is in the house but has 2 doors. For the most part I'm the only one who goes into the laundry room as everyone else seems to lack the ability to run a load unless it's to search for something they can't find.

With that said, I like the concept of the EcoGlow but I hate the price tag. So from the financial & safety standpoint; is the Ecoglow 20 really worth the money?
hmm.png

There are so many other ways to save money with the chicks (free cardboard brooder box, use an egg carton for a feeder, use nipple water caps that just attach to a bottle which you can use all the way up and even keep using when they're grown). And you can always sell it when you're done. I'm sure there would be a ready market here or on Craigslist!

There are so many other ways to save money with the chicks (free cardboard brooder box, use an egg carton for a feeder, use nipple water caps that just attach to a bottle which you can use all the way up and even keep using when they're grown). And you can always sell it when you're done. I'm sure there would be a ready market here or on Craigslist!

I'm definitely doing the cardboard brooder option. Thanks to the old man's job. And we already have a good stock of dry den for our rabbits, and I've managed to snag some feeders from our 4H group. Realistically my only cost of starting out is the feed, the warmer, a new roll of duct tape for the boxes since I'm out. I can give up my drive thru coffee for a month for the warmer.

Just needed the push. Thanks!

Premier1 Supplies makes a heating plate similar to the Ecoglow but sells for much cheaper--$47.00 for the small one which is enough room for 20 chicks. The cost will be offset by the 75% reduction in energy costs vs using a heat lamp. It is much more natural for your chicks - they can sleep in the dark - and much safer than a heat lamp. I'll never go back to using heat lamps

Back
Top Bottom