Heat Lamp

I used a 75 watt infared light that I picked up at a pet store. It is actually used for reptiles and seems to work really well. I only have 3 chicks and my brooder is larger than a tote, but not super big. The light kept one corner at about 90 deg. and my girls have been able to move around to adjust how much heat they need.

Good luck with your chicks!! :)

I actually must have a 250 watt red bulb. I brood outdoors, in an unheated outbuilding, the old fashioned way. Years ago, almost everyone brooded in cold outbuildings. The "tradition" or pattern was formed for these high output bulbs. Our typical ambient air temps are in the 30's and 40's in brooding season.

The relatively new trend of brooding indoors and using plastic tubs means the ambient air is already 70-75 degrees. It simply doesn't take much supplemental heat with ambient temperature that warm. Cooking chicken nuggets, sobering chick losses have resulted.

Lowes, Home Depot, lighting stores sell regular spot lights and flood lights in colors. Red, blue, yellow, etc. I'm sure that a 125watt small flood light, in red, would suffice for many, many people when brooding inside warm houses.

Back
Top Bottom