Heat Plate Height

MenervaGladysandPenny

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Hello! There are SO many posts on this topic, but I couldn’t find the exact answer I needed. Hopefully you can help!

My heat plate is at 2.25 inches from the ground in the back and 3 inches from the ground in the front. I have a thin layer of pine shavings on the brooder floor. My chicks are 5 days old and doing very well. Active but calm, etc. Does this sound like an appropriate height for this age? They do have to crouch into the brooder plate, (photo for reference, taken at 3inch side of plate). But my understanding is that these plates keep chicks warm via conducive heat, require contact.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 41D1456D-0F12-4E91-8858-61D86B5152BF.jpeg
    41D1456D-0F12-4E91-8858-61D86B5152BF.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 58
I had mine set so the tallest chick just barely touched when standing in the front. I had the back set so the smallest chick just barely touched when laying down. That way there is something for everyone. I also adjusted up by a click or 2 every couple of days.

I do mine like Tahai.
I keep an eye on the chick activity: roaming around, they're good. All on the far side away from the heat -- not good, too warm at heat plate. All in a little hunched up pile under it, not good, too cold. Towards the end of the first week, several prefer the top of the heater, they are fine there.

Back
Top Bottom