Heat plates

They said heat plates are not warm enough. I plan to put the brooder in a garage or backyard shed/coop.
Also, a lot of heat plates are recommended for ambient temps of 50 degrees and above. So that is another consideration what temps will be in backyard shed/coop or wherever used. Number of chicks ordered is another as plates never cover as many chicks as advertised and will never cover as large of an area for large numbers of birds as heat lamp. But I see you are only getting 6 littles so size wouldn't be a problem for you with this number. I also see you said new chicken farmer so is your coop empty?

Also, a lot of heat plates are recommended for ambient temps of 50 degrees and above. So that is another consideration what temps will be in backyard shed/coop or wherever used. Number of chicks ordered is another as plates never cover as many chicks as advertised and will never cover as large of an area for large numbers of birds as heat lamp. But I see you are only getting 6 littles so size wouldn't be a problem for you with this number. I also see you said new chicken farmer so is your coop empty?
Yes my coop is empty. Finishing up construction. Need to add roosting bars, add overhead light, automatic door opener and some brooder supplies. Thanks!!

I just set my mobile coop up as a brooder and initially ordered one fancy light from premier one because I may have to use it for lambs in the future and they can get a little rambunctious (it's heavy duty plastic and leaps and bounds more robust than the cheap metal ones from the feed store) https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/prima-heat-lamp

Then based on the recommendations here and common sense, picked up a second lamp from tractor supply to have a backup/extra area for heat. It's way cheaper, but also puts off plenty of heat. I did remove the clamp from it entirely, both lights are hung from the ceiling of my coop from chains attached to eye hooks.

If you are brooding outside, I highly recommend picking up a few thermometers and keeping tabs on what your overnight lows are in the brooder. I've spent a few days monkeying with lamp locations and heights. My primary lamp has a temp of ~120-130 in the "hot spot" during the day (there's space to get away from it that stays in the 60s, and at the front of the tractor that will be blocked off for the first week or so, an area that's about 20 degrees cooler than that), but drops down to 96 overnight as it's coolest temp. Obviously no need for smart thermometers, we just do a lot of smarthome stuff and tracking temps around the house can be useful for automation, so these were an easy decision from a repurposing standpoint.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240214-091558.png
    Screenshot_20240214-091558.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240214-091521.png
    Screenshot_20240214-091521.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I LOVE my heat plate. Chicks are happier, and feather out much faster. I have them in my basement for one week, then to the coop brooder.... havent had any trouble! I feel safer with it. I use this one,

https://shorturl.at/gpAOP

both in the coop and in the basement, and I have had less trouble with chicks. BUT, I only get 12 chicks at a time. To me, that's the limit with this plate. They can all safely get under the plate and no squabbles. As they grow, I will adjust the height. They usually start feathering out in a week or so. I've even used it when night temperatures go below 30, with a cover "tented" over it.

I share these old threads constantly because they gave me the courage that I needed to make the switch to not only outdoor brooding, but also ditching the heat lamp. It's truly up to you. You'll find people pro heat lamp, pro heat plate or MHP and people who use both. I would never assert that one way is better than the other. I am aware that even my MHP can start a fire if it gets too old so I have a webcam in my brooder. My personal preference is MHP with no heat lamp for many reasons.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update

I am in Northwest, Missouri, A new chicken farmer and I will be get six baby chicks in May. I was planning to get a heat plate for the brooder until the hatchery recommended a heat lamp. They said heat plates are not warm enough. I plan to put the brooder in a garage or backyard shed/coop. I didn’t want to worry about a fire, extra fire hazard with heat lamp. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I had no problems with the heat plates.

An alternate source of heat is an ceramic heat lamp, puts out a tremendous amount of heat with less chance of fire but the same applies to it's use also, keep away from flammables.
It also lets out toxic fumes and its highly frowned upon by many hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom