Heat stress or calcium deficiency for shell less eggs?

Sallyhens

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2022
I have a 5.5 month old Golden Laced Wyandotte that’s been having egg issues.

Last week she looked egg bound, so I gave her a warm soak and checked her vent. A perfect yolk plopped out.

This morning she was looking the same. I checked her vent and pulled out one of those shriveled membranes. She seemed to perk up for most of the day.

The last few hours, however, she’s been lethargic and I haven’t seen her eat all day aside from weeds. Didn’t even want blueberries, watermelon, bread or scrambled egg.

I tried giving her a calcium citrate + D3 tablet by dissolving it and soaking the bread and eggs with it. Nope. Checked her vent again, just some poo came out.

I live in FL and it’s obviously hot. They have a covered run, layer feed, grit and oyster shell/egg shell. I’m wondering if it’s the heat? I know she’s new to egg laying but I haven’t had any issues with my other hens of the same age. Her vent does not look swollen nor does her belly.

I plan on getting them some electrolytes tomorrow. Is there anything else I should try or do?

Another thing…when checking the vent, should I direct my finger upwards or downwards? I’m new to chicken anatomy in this way and I’m not sure if I should be trying to get upwards into the oviduct or what. I’m gentle but obviously don’t want to hurt her so I’m hesitant. I appreciate any advice!

She is a new layer and it sounds like she's laying shell-less eggs. Her reproductive tract needs to mature.
To give her Calcium citrate with D just break the tablet in half and pop it in her beak. She will swallow it. Then give her the other half. Give her 450-630 mg daily for at least a week.
If there are any signs that an egg broke inside her, you will want to start her on anti-biotic.
Because she is laying incompletely formed eggs, I would refrain from vent checking her. When it becomes necessary, the oviduct is "up".
1660091506048.png

She is a new layer and it sounds like she's laying shell-less eggs. Her reproductive tract needs to mature.
To give her Calcium citrate with D just break the tablet in half and pop it in her beak. She will swallow it. Then give her the other half. Give her 450-630 mg daily for at least a week.
If there are any signs that an egg broke inside her, you will want to start her on anti-biotic.
Because she is laying incompletely formed eggs, I would refrain from vent checking her. When it becomes necessary, the oviduct is "up".
View attachment 3217527
Thankfully I haven’t seen any evidence of a broken egg inside her. I’ll try to give her calcium again tomorrow.

I guess I started vent checking because I’ve read so much about egg bound hens and the need for acting quickly. She’s pretty docile and hasn’t seemed too stressed about it, at least. Since she’s had a couple shell-less eggs and is young, should I assume she’s not egg bound and refrain from checking her vent for a while? What if she’s actually egg bound? Ugh, I’m so neurotic about all this, just really want to do my best for her.

I appreciate your response!

I would stop vent checks. Just keep dosing her with the Ca Citrate. An egg bound pullet will oftentimes have a penguin stance and you can hear her staining.
Well. I accidentally bought the “petite” supplement which is 400mg calcium/500IU D3 with a serving size of 2 pills. Meaning, I assume, each pill has 200mg. I hope giving her 3 pills won’t overdo the D3. Might go search for the regular dose later.

The important thing is that I mixed a dissolved pill into some yogurt which she gobbled up. So that’s something.

Well. I accidentally bought the “petite” supplement which is 400mg calcium/500IU D3 with a serving size of 2 pills. Meaning, I assume, each pill has 200mg. I hope giving her 3 pills won’t overdo the D3. Might go search for the regular dose later.

The important thing is that I mixed a dissolved pill into some yogurt which she gobbled up. So that’s something.
Just give her one pill twice a day. That will be fine.

Just give her one pill twice a day. That will be fine.
Will do. I installed a little fan in the run which probably won’t do much but maybe it’ll help. I also put a camera in the coop so I can track who’s laying eggs. She is definitely my least heat-tolerant hen. I suspect that is playing a role, as well. I’ll update if anything changes!

Will do. I installed a little fan in the run which probably won’t do much but maybe it’ll help. I also put a camera in the coop so I can track who’s laying eggs. She is definitely my least heat-tolerant hen. I suspect that is playing a role, as well. I’ll update if anything changes!
Do they have full deep shade to retreat to? Do you have a mister or something like that you can run to cool them off? Some people have success freezing water in 2 liter bottles then partially burying the bottles in the shadiest areas of the run and the birds can lay on or near them to cool off.

Do they have full deep shade to retreat to? Do you have a mister or something like that you can run to cool them off? Some people have success freezing water in 2 liter bottles then partially burying the bottles in the shadiest areas of the run and the birds can lay on or near them to cool off.
They have a covered run that’s also partially under a giant oak tree. The sun shines in a lot from the west side but only in about half the run. So, they have plenty of shade and water. I try to give them frozen watermelon or other fruits/veggies in the afternoon when it’s hottest. I check the temp of their water and it’s never been hot, always cool, but I’ll freeze some water bottles to add anyways. I’ve been considering a mister so I may invest in one, they’re pretty cheap.

She does seem more like herself this morning.

Attachments

• CDD7F63F-1902-4721-881A-16AD3D08D310.jpeg
    CDD7F63F-1902-4721-881A-16AD3D08D310.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom