Heat stroke?

My (tiny) local store doesn't even sell B complex. Sigh. I've been giving her the DurVet vitamins sprinkled in a tablespoon of mash made from grower crumble, along with calcium citrate powder. Her appetite is good but she hasn't improved at all in the past several days, toes still tightly curled. No eggs since the last soft shelled one on the 7th.

If it's indeed Riboflavin deficiency, am I past the point where supplemental vitamins should/could make a difference? I can order B complex online (or go to a store farther away) but I'm feeling like it's throwing good money/effort after bad at this point.

Right now the plan is to cull her Thursday night or Friday morning and have hubby drop her off at the state lab in Bangor when he goes up there Friday to have the car looked at.

The rest of my flock are all fine, though we're getting a LOT of very thin shelled eggs. I'm offering free choice oyster shell as well as layer feed but everyone wants to eat the grow crumble!! Sigh. This too shall pass - babies are growing like weeds.
Poor baby....I'm hoping the best for you, despite that Shadow hasn't made a 100% recovery, these are all valuable lessons that will help the current and future flock.
Good luck with your decision :hugs

Great news on little Shadow. As I mentioned, last weekend I was unable to get any B vitamins (I am 30 minutes from any given store and the stores are 30+ minutes from each other so shopping around is a real pain with $4+ gas prices!)
I looked more closely at what had on hand and opted to start giving her a mash made of Cream of Wheat (about a tsp and full of vitamins plus she LOVES it), Calcium Citrate, Brewers Yeast, and Poultry Cell. I gave this daily and wasn't seeing much until Thursday afternoon, when she began to improve.
Friday morning she laid her first good egg in weeks. Friday (yesterday) I was also finally able to get her some actual B complex vitamins, and immediately gave her 1/4 of a tablet.

This morning, when I came out to check on her, she had flown up onto the edge of her enclosure and perched there overnight. This is a HUGE HUGE improvement - we didn't even know she could fly up off the ground anymore, much less that she had the foot dexterity to perch! She's still walking with her feet scrunched up but not with them fisted, so that's looking better. She also laid another lovely egg this morning.

I will continue treating her with the B-complex vitamins and also with the calcium citrate, and will update here in several days to note how she's doing. I'm going to back off on the Poultry Cell because I worry about all the iron in there.
Thank you so much to @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock and everyone else who has chimed in, You better believe I will always, always have B vitamins and calcium on hand from now on!

Back
Top Bottom