Heat wave

Same here in VA - plus we've not had electricity for 8 days making keeping them cool really tough. I've already got one bird in the basement not doing well at all. I've been monitoring my birds all morning so I can catch heat stroke early if need be. I've tried the pool and they don't go for it. Cold water seems to be what they respond to. I will try the frozen jugs though. That's a good idea! Good luck to everyone.

Is it ok to go a bit 'off topic'? Edwina, I'm from NJ and was staying at Natural Bridge with my ten year old dd when that storm hit and power was lost. you are still without power??? wow. I have health issues, use a cane, and yet I had to carry all our luggage down a dark stairwell from the third floor ... what a sorry end to a great visit!

On topic, I do think I am going to lose my hen who looks to have suffered heat stroke.

Is it ok to go a bit 'off topic'? Edwina, I'm from NJ and was staying at Natural Bridge with my ten year old dd when that storm hit and power was lost. you are still without power??? wow. I have health issues, use a cane, and yet I had to carry all our luggage down a dark stairwell from the third floor ... what a sorry end to a great visit!

On topic, I do think I am going to lose my hen who looks to have suffered heat stroke.
Yes, we just got our power back yesterday morning - almost 8 days without. The storm was quite severe and knocked down tons and tons of trees that pulled electrical wiring with them. It was tough going on some really hot days. But for the most part we just made a game out of it.

I'm so sorry you might lose a hen. I'm keeping such a close eye on mine. Today we have a heat advisory. Our temp on our property had already reached 100 before noon. Take care everyone and good luck!

For those with experience saving hens from heat stroke/dehydration, how long does it usually take for them to recover? What is the best method of re-hydrating when they wont drink on their own? My 4 year old hen that appears to have this issue since Friday evening has me very worried. I have her separated in a cage with water with added electrolytes and some food but she wont eat or drink on her own since yesterday when I had her in the run with a fan since the coop was so warm. I think she was faking wanting to eat and drink as she only would when another hen would come near her. I've forced some water in her today with a dropper but she doesn't like that much. I've also offered scrambled eggs, tomatoes and watermelon and she only took bits of egg yesterday. I'm on going on day three with no visible improvement. She can not stand on her own and is thin. Any other ideas on what I can do to help her?

Same here in Indiana!! 100 to 105 with heat index's up to 115! And very humid!!! It has been a struggle keeping my 10 young hens cool! This is my first little flock and I have about killed myself trying to keep flowers and hens alive!! LoL... Very thankful for this site!!! And the hens are also!!! I started freezing jugs of water, watermelon halves, grapes, and took plastic cups and filled them with water mixed with electrolytes (froze them also)! The girls love the watermelon!! I take the frozen cups of water/electrolytes and put them in their waterer with fresh water about every two hours and that has worked very well keeping the water cold! And a big fan blowing!! I tried the pans of shallow water for them to stand in and they wanted nothing to do with it!! I have a very large Buff Orpington (I think maybe a rooster) that put me in panic mode with her panting and wings spread out, I took her or him and put her in the pool with me! She didn't like it to much but, we floated around for about 15min and cooled off she seemed to be fine afterwards! This weather sure has been a challenge for the hens and myself since I'm new at it! So... Thank you to the ones that has posted advice about keep chickens cool! It has been a life saver!!!! :)

I am also wondering.. It is looking to me like this hen is permanently lame. Wondering if I should allow her to go on like this. If there is no hope of recovery I can't. The others were pecking her so I had removed her to inside my home, and was force feeding her some water and (raw cow's) milk. But if she will not recover, I dont' want to prolong her agony either.

So, if any pros out there can report... can a hen "come back" from a serious illness of heat? My hen does not seem able to control her movements. She's jerky. I had decided to 'let her go' but I keep reading and reading and it SEEMS that some take days to a week to recover, but they DO recover?? Please report back if you've experienced this without losing them? Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom