Heated transport for week old quail?

HandsomeRyan

Renaissance man
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Music City, USA
I've found someone who is going to sell me some week old baby coturnix quail but she lives about 30-40 minutes away from me. If it were baby chickens I'd just throw them in a cardboard box and not give it another thought but I understand that because quail are so much smaller that they require heat during transport even <1hr away from heat lamps.

My question is- How should I heat them? Lets say I leave my house, drive 40 minutes to meet the lady then drive 40 minutes home. That means I need something capable of holding heat for about an hour and a half.

Any ideas or suggestions? I work at a lab so I have access to lots of small styro coolers. It will be a dozen birds.

Boil up water, fill 2 , gallon milk cartons. or other gallon containers. Place into bottom of Styrofoam cooler and cover with towels. Then cover lightly with cover. Perform test at home first and see how long the container stays warm. When satisfied, mainline it and get your quail. BEST WISHES.
thumbsup.gif

I remembered I have a voltage inverter out in the workshop. I'm at work right now but when I get home I am going to see how much wattage it can handle and use it to power a heat pad, light bulb, or other heat source.

The water bottle idea is a nice one to keep in mind as a backup if I can't make this work though. Thanks!

As long as you keep the car warm you shouldn't have that big of an issue, worse case if you're concerned just go and get some of those heat packs from walmart. but you probably just need to keep your car warm. I mean in the wild during the day it would be around 70-80 so I'm pretty sure they can stand a car ride. or just fill up a water bottle with warm water when you get to her house and put it in the box. They should be fine.

They do better in numbers though, they will keep each other warm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom